Accelero + 12 cm fan, turbo module or Twin Turbo?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pixel

Accelero + 12 cm fan, turbo module or Twin Turbo?

Post by pixel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:40 am

Hello,

After switching to a Samsung EcoGreen F2 harddrive the main source of noise for my PC has become my Palit 8800 GT Sonic. I'm going to make that more quiet as well, and have been searching this subforum for a while.

I have decided to get an Accelero S1 Rev.2, but I can't decide which fan to get. I can mount a Scythe S-Flex E and from what I have read get the best performance and silence, but AFAIK I cannot use the video card's 4-pin connector. This means the fan will not be controlled according to The video card's temperature. I'd really like to have auto speed control.

On the other hand I can buy a turbo module or the Twin Turbo cooler. I have read that these can be plugged in the video card and will be controlled by temperature. However, they seem to be a bit louder than a 12 cm fan, from what I have read.

All advice is welcome, since I'm feeling very indecisive at the moment. If I could plug the 3-pin Scythe into the 4-pin video card fan socket everything would be fine but I don't see that happening - the fan would probably not be auto-controlled either.

If users can let me know if the turbo module or Twin Turbo is not noticeably noisier than a 12 cm Scythe, I'll buy one of them in a heartbeat - but which one of these two??

All opinions welcome!

larsolsen
Patron of SPCR

Post by larsolsen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:24 pm

i use an Accelero S1 Rev.2 on a 8800gt card. Without fan the card runs hot, so i added an old 80mm papst fan (amazing fans btw. bought 3 about 6 years ago and they still run quiet), connected to a zalman fanmate and running inaudible at 650 rpm. The fan sits about 3cm from the accelero and is angled so it cools the entire card, and is powered from the motherboard. There is an intake right next to it, so it sucks cold air in to the case, which also makes a difference. Idle temp is about 10 degrees celcius above ambient (current 33 degrees celcius), and load maxes out at 65 degrees celcius. So i suggest simply zip tying a good fan to accelero, and control it in some way.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:36 pm

Accelero S1 rev + Scythe S-flex 800 RPM @ 12v fan keeps my HD 4850 very cool and it draws more power than your 8800 GT

pixel

Post by pixel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I don't have an intake fan in front of the video card (the only intake fan is the Kama Bay, mounted in front of the CPU), so I guess things will be a bit mode difficult for me.

I'm a bit clumsy when it comes to zip ties and things like that, I hope (if I decide to go that way) I'll do fine.

This confirms that the Accelero w/ 12 cm fan will have to trouble keeping the card cool - and I'm probably not going to overclock either.

I also asked on the Turkish hardware forum I frequent, and an Accelero + Turbo Module mentions that the Turbo Module was a bit quieter than a Scythe 12 cm (both at 12 v). The Scythe kept the card about 5 degress C cooler.

If there is not a big difference in temperature or noise, I'd prefer to go with the Turbo Module or Twin Turbo, as I think I can plug them in the video card's fan socket and not have to bother with mainboard plugs or SpeedFan.

I also have only 2 speed-controllable fan sockets on the mainboard: one of them is connected to the CPU fan and the other to the exhaust. The remaining 2 fan sockets are in use by the Kama Bay and the PSU's fan speed sensor. So I'd prefer to not use mainboard's connector, as they're all occupied.

Could a Turbo Module or Twin Turbo user also share his experience, especially how the noise is compared to a 12 cm Scythe and if the fan connects to the video card's fan socket? It would definitely be appreciated!

Thanks again..

robbie13

Post by robbie13 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:40 am

You could have googled so you would know that the turbo module comes with a standard fan header, and a molex adapter.

I would go with a Scythe 800rpm.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:22 am

pixel wrote:I also asked on the Turkish hardware forum I frequent, and an Accelero + Turbo Module mentions that the Turbo Module was a bit quieter than a Scythe 12 cm (both at 12 v). The Scythe kept the card about 5 degress C cooler.
I have a bunch of Scythe SlipStream L (and SL) and even an AC S1 Rev. 2 with its Turbo Module: in my experience no way the latter may be quieter than a 120 mm low speed SS. Anyway, there are even PWM SS now (check the Mugen 2 SPCR's review).

Regards,
Luca

pixel

Post by pixel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:26 am

Hmm, yes, I did find that out after looking at the Installation Manual from AC's website. I thought I read a forum message saying the Turbo Module could be controlled by the VGA card, but obviously I was mistaken.

Sadly, we cannot find Scythe fans in Turkey any more.. I can get a Noctua, though. I have one S-Flex E which I bought back when Scythes were imported. I could move that from the TRUE to the Accelero. Or maybe put the Scythe in the Kama Bay over the Accelero.

I'm reading reviews of the Twin Turbo; and every reviews says it's "very quiet" - but I don't think their "quietness" standard is up to SPCR's. I just don't know how well it stands compared to a 12 cm Scythe or Noctua at 1.000 rpm.

I'd be happy if a Twin Turbo user (or someone who heard it) lets me know how much noise it makes, compared to a quality 12 cm fan. If it's noticeably higher, I won't bother and just use a 12 cm fan. I think I can live without video card's automatic fan control..

Edit: Just saw Luca's message.. Well, Arctic Cooling's web site says the Turbo Module is quieter than the Twin Turbo (Turbo Module: 0,15 Sone, Twin Turbo: 0,2 Sone at 1.500 rpm, 0,6 Sone at 2.000), so this means the Twin Turbo is definitely louder than a 12 cm quality fan. I guess I'll just get the "bare" Accelero S1 Rev.2 and somehow tie one of my 12 cm fans to it.

grazzhoppa

Post by grazzhoppa » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:53 pm

You may not need a fan on the Accelero S1 with an 8800GT.

I have an 8800GT with the Accelero S1 rev2 overclocked when playing 3D games to 716 MHz core, 986 MHz GDDR3 memory.

In the worst ambient temperatures I was playing games in - high 80's F / ~30 C - it fluctuates between 60-65 C on its core depending on the game being played.

Current GPUs, including the 8800gt's G92 can operate up to 100C, but 80C is when you should take action to cool it down. So my 60C with the Accelero S1 is well cool.

The airflow in my case is quite average too. I have a generic midtower case:
  • 12cm system exhaust fan running at 900 RPM
    Scythe Ninja with 12cm fan running 1100RPM
    Seasonic S12 powersupply with a 12cm fan sucking above the CPU area.
When the system/motherboard ambient temperature is 30C (environment ambient temperature is 75F / ~25C), my GPU core idles at 42C.