Quiet single slot card with HDMI for HTPC

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

tingies

Quiet single slot card with HDMI for HTPC

Post by tingies » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:10 am

Long time lurker here, finally got around in registering. I'll try to do my part in making this world more quiet :P

I'm in the process of choosing components for a HTPC that I'm building and I need a video card that is quiet, has HDMI port that can send video and audio, is a single slot and has enough performance to run games like WoW, FIFA10, L4D, Race Driver GRID etc without problems.

I'm gonna watch a lot of 720/1080 mkv video files on this machine so video is really important. I don't plan to play games much though so I don't need the latest and greatest, just something that will do the job.

The 5850 seems ideal for me but it's a 2 slotter. My budget is $250.

Suggestions?

Andru

Post by Andru » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:58 am

Well, depends on how much gaming power you really want.

The 5850 is a fine card indeed, but I am considering the 5750 for my HTPC. It's got decent graphics performance, and video playback acceleration should be top notch.

Currently, my HTPC has the HD3200 integrated chipset, which plays old(er) games just fine. We are playing Neverwinter Nights with my brother at the moment, and it runs such 5+ year old games smoothly as silk.

Klusu

Post by Klusu » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:51 pm

HTPC? 4670 or 4650 (perhaps an overkill already)

Andru

Post by Andru » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Klusu wrote:HTPC? 4670 or 4650 (perhaps an overkill already)
Not overkill if he wants to play the games he mentions.

tingies

Post by tingies » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:42 am

Well it seems that there isn't a single slot solution. I think I'm leaning towards a 5750. The only reservation I have is that it doesn't push hot air out of the case like the 5770. Will that play a major role when it comes to noise and low temps?

coreyography

Post by coreyography » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:48 pm

tingies wrote:Well it seems that there isn't a single slot solution. I think I'm leaning towards a 5750.
I was going to tell you to give up on the single-slot quest, but it seems you've already come to the same conclusion.
The only reservation I have is that it doesn't push hot air out of the case like the 5770. Will that play a major role when it comes to noise and low temps?
I too was interested in this, but after getting a "rear-vent" card I am not so sold on the concept. For the required air volume, one slot's worth of venting is not really enough, so some of the rear-vent cards (like my GTX275) "cheat" and have additional holes in the shroud near the connector end that exhaust into the case. I'm actually a little concerned because that cheater hole on mine points toward the motherboard, and I wonder if some poor little 1W chip will get fried by the extra heat coming out of that 150W+ GPU. I'll probably end up modding some plastic to direct that air up off the motherboard.

If you have good case airflow, keep it pressurized, and open a couple additional slot vents (so some air movement is out the back), a fan-blowing-down-onto-the-card design will probably work fine -- and will probably be a larger, quieter fan than the little squirrel-cage blower on the rear-exhaust cards.

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:25 am

I am in a similar situation, I need a single-slot graphics card with a bit of gaming power. It is very frustrating that the HD5000 series are all double-slot. At the launch of the 5700 series a lot of review sites suggested that we might get non-reference, single-slot 5750s but I haven't seen one yet.

I am also considering getting something a little older with a single-slot backplate (say a 4850) and mounting a Thermalright HR-03 in a backwards fashion so that the heatsink actually occupies the slot above/behind the card instead of below/in front of it. Maybe that helps? Personally I would much prefer a more efficient 5000 series card...

vonbosch

Post by vonbosch » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:31 am

I am not sure why the OP wanted a single slot card specifically, but I just read about a single-slot backplate but double-slot cooler HD 5750 from HIS.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/16352/1/

If one of the Thermalright HR-03 Rev. A or HR-03 GT are compatible (not sure yet, it is a non-reference card so depends on the mounting holes) you can do the trick with mounting the heatink so that it takes up an extra slot above the graphics card instead of below it. I am not sure, but you can probably run this passively with good case airflow.

I think I am going to do this in a month or two so I can report back if anyone is interested.