nvidia fan control, howto less than 25%

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cloneman

nvidia fan control, howto less than 25%

Post by cloneman » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Most utilities (RIVATUNER, EVGA precision) allow you to control the fans on some nvidia cards between 25% and 100% (or 'automatic mode', which in my case, has a idle of 40%)

Anyone know how I can make it lower than 25%?

I have a Palit GTX260 SP.

I got the feeling im going have to use a resistor

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:56 am

Hi, I think Nvidia's own "Performance" tool in their System Tools would let me set the fan speed on my GTX260 to any level 0 to 100%. Not with PC at moment so can't be sure...
EDIT: - found screen shot suggesting can:
NiBitor will allow you to modify the BIOS to chnage the fan settings, I've done this as using aftermarket cooler / fans on mine.
Before - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - After

Hope this helps, Seb

cloneman

Post by cloneman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:11 am

Thanks! It doesn't turn the fan totally off, but Nvidia's 0% is less than EVGA's 25%.

It's a start. I'll look into the bios thing as well, because nvidia's thing doesn't seem to be working for custom temperature-based RPM management. I wouldn't want to force the fan to 0% and have my brother play a game when its in that mode, there's no "sanity check" override when manually specifying rpms in this software, I'll have to do it in the bios.