silent monitor

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cruelsister

silent monitor

Post by cruelsister » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:52 am

Are any out there using a monitor that is silent? I'm using an old Magitronic 17' which is now the source of the most noise, and as it's about 7 years old perhaps it's time for a change.

Any help apreciated.

mathias

Post by mathias » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:34 am

I can't hear my old viewsonic 17ps, that's might be due to the noise of my PC, I'll listen to it with the PC off to confirm.

Edit: I can't hear it over an old laptop either. Putting my ear right up against it, I can hear a slight low pitched buzzing sound.

It's an invar shadowmask type screen. I've had it for 8 years now.

mki

Re: silent monitor

Post by mki » Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:11 pm

cruelsister wrote:Are any out there using a monitor that is silent? I'm using an old Magitronic 17' which is now the source of the most noise, and as it's about 7 years old perhaps it's time for a change.

Any help apreciated.
Get an LCD display.

A while ago I had a Sony G400P 19" Trinitron tube and it was the biggest (pun!) source of noise in my setup. I replaced it with LG 575LM 15" LCD, and I haven't looked back. This is completely silent, unless I decrease the brightness a lot. When dimmed, the display makes a slight buzz.

An LCD gives me infinitely sharper text and lower electricity bills than the G400P.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:43 am

Be aware that not all LCD/TFT units are silents. The most suspect ones are units that have the power brick built into the display stand (quite rare). Some others have known to make noise as well.

gianni

Post by gianni » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:50 pm

My 2 years old Samsung LCD 17" display is silent too. I was used to hear high frequency noises with my CRT displays. No sounds with this monitor.

mki

Post by mki » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:00 pm

halcyon wrote:Be aware that not all LCD/TFT units are silents. The most suspect ones are units that have the power brick built into the display stand (quite rare). Some others have known to make noise as well.
That's right. My LG 575LM has on external power supply. The power supply makes some noise, but it can't be heard because it's under the desk on the floor. If the power supply was integrated to the display, the display might not be silent any more.