AC VGA Silencer 2-pin f won't go on Asus 9600XT 3-pin m

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ephemeron

AC VGA Silencer 2-pin f won't go on Asus 9600XT 3-pin m

Post by Ephemeron » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:52 am

The install of my Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer went smoothly... until it came time to connect the female 2-pin fan header to my Asus 9600XTs 3-pin male connecter. Long story short, it won't fit.

This is not a matter of me wanting 3 wires for RPM monitoring; the two headers are simply physically incapable of connecting to each other. The two pins on the VGA header might be able to correspond with the outer left and right pins on the Asus connect, maybe, but the middle pin of the Asus connect blocks any chance of the 2-pin going down on it because there is no hole for it on the 2-pin.

Also, keep in mind that these are not your typical mini molex connecters found on, say, a Panaflo 80, 92, or 120mm fans; they are like mini-mini molex connectors or something, the smallest I've ever seen. I've yet to find an online vendor that carries any adapter for these.

Has anyone else installing their AC VGA Silencer experienced this problem? How screwed am I? Couldn't find anyting in the search for this.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:58 am

Yeah, this is not an uncommon problem. (but searching for "VGA silencer fan" probably nets you about a thousand results :wink: )

The simplest solution:

Cut the plugs off both the Silencer's fan and the stock fan, then rewire the stock fan plug onto the Silencer's wires.

Depending on you particular fan's plug you may also be able to trim, split or otherwise modify the AC-S's plug to fit it over the pins on your card.

Just be careful to connect it to the right 2 pins.

Ephemeron

Post by Ephemeron » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:08 am

Ah. I assumed, wrongly it seems, that a search regarding the fan would net me mostly results on the fan itself, not the connectors. Please forgive me, though, as I am on 28.8 while I'm working on this new build and I did the best I could short of spending 4 hours on the search.

I'll look under that search string now for details on how to "rewire the stock fan plug onto the Silencer's wires."

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ephemeron

Post by Ephemeron » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:22 am

Search not going well, in google either. Anyone decent enough to link me to a good rewiring dicussion for mini-mini molex? :)

Ephemeron

Post by Ephemeron » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:13 pm

I'm going to try to slit the two-pin female in half and attach each new pin to the corresonding holes on the 3-pin. Going to probably try something that will saw it in half, instead of cutting it. This is going to be hard.

Straker

Post by Straker » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:22 pm

rewiring anything but regular (HD, CD etc) molex connectors is a major pain, he just meant cut both cables and solder the original connector's wires to the wires of your new fan

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:59 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You don't have to cut ANY cables.

Just grab your set of Jeweller's screw drivers. Take a mini flat head, and pop out the connectors from the 2 and 3 pin heads. Swap, and done.

No snips, no soldering, very simple mod.

Straker

Post by Straker » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 am

er, we're talking about the connectors on the cables, not the card here, right? must vary some between all the slightly different little 2/3 pin connectors out there, would be very hard-pressed to simply push the pins out of any of the ones i have lying around here without bending/breaking one. obviously that way is better if you can manage it though. :P

zoob
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by zoob » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:19 am

The 9600 Pro my brother has, uses the same connector. The VGA silencer is just two pins, so I disconnected the wires. I ended up switching it over to the Zalman heatpipe since the 9600 didn't generate much heat at all.