LeadTek A400 GT + AC NV Silencer 5?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cros

LeadTek A400 GT + AC NV Silencer 5?

Post by Cros » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:16 am

Has anyone tried this combination and could share their experiences? I have just recently bought this VGA card and was wondering about ease of removing the bundled heat sink and ease of applying the NV 5 to the card. Did you use a fan controller (like fanmate) and what is your temperature like now?

Tried to search for this combo but couldn't find any real good information. Thanks in advance :D

peterson

Post by peterson » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:18 am

I have exactly this combination. Works like a charm.

I made an attempt to replace the original heatsink but ran out of time and put it back in the case. What i forgot to reattach was the cable to the fan but the fairly large heatsink kept it below 85°C all the time, even while gaming, so i guess i was a bit lucky there. :shock:

However, one week later i decided to replace it with the NV5. It was a minor challenge but took about 30 minutes. I'm not sure what therse temps are supposed to hover around, but now i'm reading 60°C, almost all the time. It's a bit quieter than the original, but not completely silent though. I'm not experiencing any clicking sounds whatsoever, which i've read others do.

I'm using the VGA-cards onboard fan controller. No idea how it works, but i've bought a mCubed T-Balancer yet to be installed. Will get back to this community with my complete results.

Cros

Post by Cros » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:18 am

Aah, thanks for the response. Just a follow up: did you find it hard removing the old heatsink and did you need any special tools. I really don't have an extensive toolbox :lol:

peterson

Post by peterson » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:05 am

No special tools, just a plain small screwdriver.
It looked trick first, but was quite easy once i dug into it.

It just needs some cleaning before applying new paste.

btw: the (don't really now the word in english) connector from the NV5 isn't the same as the Leadtek. So i carved it a bit with a knife, so it fits. But today, after my last reply to you, i checked the fan and it may spin in the wrong direction. That may explain my rather high temps, but as i said, i'll install a T-Balancer in the near future anyways, so i'll correct it then if faulty. :oops:

peterson

Post by peterson » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:06 am

So you're a fellow countryman too? Sweet! Hej! :)

Cros

Post by Cros » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:13 am

Thanks for the answers, and yeah, am a swede too :D

alelanza

Post by alelanza » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:47 am

peterson wrote: It's a bit quieter than the original, but not completely silent though.
Hi, I'm looking for a 6800 GT agp myself and would like to get the one that has the quietest stock cooler. So would you say that the cooling solution on the Leadtek is not that loud?

Any particular 6800 GT you know of that is not too loud with the stock cooler?

THanks!

hmai18

Post by hmai18 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:26 am

I have a Leadtek 6800 non-ultra with an NV5. The connector from the Silencer doesn't fit into the connector on the card, so I'm running it through a 3-pin connector on a Vantec Nexus fan controller. The plus side is that I can control the voltage going through the NV5. I've had it this way for about 2 weeks without running into any problems. The fan is spinning the right way because I can feel air being exhausting out through the back.

Idle temps ~47C with 12V, max load is still under 60C after an intensive session of FarCry or HL2/CS:S. My PSU is still the loudest part in my system, so I don't have any reason to turn down the NV5...yet.

peterson

Post by peterson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:22 am

alelanza wrote:Hi, I'm looking for a 6800 GT agp myself and would like to get the one that has the quietest stock cooler. So would you say that the cooling solution on the Leadtek is not that loud?
I think it's relatively quiet. But it depends a bit on the rest of your rig, how quiet it is. If it's very quiet you'll hear it.
According to various tests this is one of the best 6800GT cards available too.

peterson

Post by peterson » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:31 am

hmai18 wrote:I have a Leadtek 6800 non-ultra with an NV5. The connector from the Silencer doesn't fit into the connector on the card, so I'm running it through a 3-pin connector on a Vantec Nexus fan controller. The plus side is that I can control the voltage going through the NV5. I've had it this way for about 2 weeks without running into any problems. The fan is spinning the right way because I can feel air being exhausting out through the back.

Idle temps ~47C with 12V, max load is still under 60C after an intensive session of FarCry or HL2/CS:S. My PSU is still the loudest part in my system, so I don't have any reason to turn down the NV5...yet.
Is your card a GT or also a non-GT? :)
I'm not sure my fan spun the wrong way, just that i felt some air coming out of the fan too. The fact that it didn't fit confused me. But i don't have to sorry about it now :)
Your temps were unreachable for me. Even now if i run my VF700 at 100% i barely come down below 50C.
But perhaps i shouldn't trust the sensor on the card too much. I put a (analog) sensor for the T-Balancer just beside the GPU, and it reports 49°C while the card reports 61°C. Can it really drop that much? The sensor is placed on the 'frame' around the GPU. Around 5mm from the edge of the GPU.

alelanza

Post by alelanza » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:20 pm

@Peterson. Thanks, my case is not particularly silent, but it's definitely not loud, so I think that Leadtek will fit in there just fine. I have a 480 Thermatake PSU that can be pretty quiet with the right fan setting, however the stock fan for my AMD 2500+ and the northbridge on my NF7s v2 can standout quite a bit. I'm not too concerned about the vc being loud while gaming, but would like it not to stand out above my other components while not gaming. I've read that with the stock cooler that leadtek weighs around 750 grams, so that was another point of concern for me. I guess it's OK as long as I dont carry it around.
One last thing, I've read that the Gigabyte 6800gt has an utility that controls fan speed, is anyone familiar with that?
Thanks!