heat created by a passively video card--a problem?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

silencetowrite

heat created by a passively video card--a problem?

Post by silencetowrite » Fri May 27, 2005 11:55 am

Hi,

I’m wondering if there is a thread giving general recommendation for getting appropriate airflow to move/exhaust the heat created by a passively video card. Perhaps, I’m just being a bit paranoid, but I’m concerned about all that heat just sitting there—it would seem to me that could cause some real problems if not handled properly. (I’m new to this, so please tell me if I’m wrong.)

I found these two threads via the search…

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ga+passive
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=19654

…which address related issues, but don’t really answer my question.

(Perhaps the absence of a thread indicates that I shouldn’t worry about it)

Anyway, if there isn’t a thread already and I should be worrying about it, does anyone have general recommendations?

I’m planning on using one of the Gigabyte 6600 (not GT) Models. The other details of my new system are sketchy because I’m waiting for news/reviews of the passively cooled Abit AN8 mobo and reviews of the Sonata II. (Thankfully, I can’t build until July anyway so the waiting game is not killing me.)

pony-tail

Post by pony-tail » Fri May 27, 2005 4:47 pm

I use passive cooling on 3 out of 5 machines (one has a 6800 ultra and I do not believe , correct me if I am wrong , passive colling is an option )
the 3 with passive are all Nvidia cards , 1x Ti 4400, 1x FX5700and an Albatron 5900XT . the 5700 has a single heatpipe Zalman the other two have Dual heatpipe Zalman coolers .
The secret seems to be to have unobstructed airflow through the case and to pull the heat out by the rear case fan .
This principle has worked for me since I first put one of the copper flap type Zalman coolers on a Quadro 2 pro card that originaly had the most obnoctious fan I have ever heard on it.
if the heat does not get to build up it is not a problem.