How to get cover off of Leadtek 6800nu?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

scrandman

How to get cover off of Leadtek 6800nu?

Post by scrandman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:18 am

Howdy folks. This is my first post at these forums, although I've been a regular at PCPerspective / AMD mb for a while now.

The little fan on my Leadtek 6800nu (AGP version) is the loudest thing in my otherwise quiest system. I'd like to mod it to repace it with a larger fan used in a more conventional heatsink fan method (i.e. strapped on the top of the copper HS).

I can't see how to remove the large plastic cover that will allow me to do this mod. I've removed the 2 little screws that hold in the fan cover, but that's about all I've managed so far.

I can see where it is screwed onto the HS, but the screw heads are not accessible, and the positions do not correspond with the screws on the copper backplate.

I'm guessing I need to remove the whole damn heatsink to get to the screws that hold on the plastic cover, but if there is an easier way to do it I'd love to know.

Any help would be appreciated. Pics would be especially nice.

Thanks.

scrandman

Post by scrandman » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:10 am

OK - don't worry. I found a thread by someone else who had did it already on an Ultra. Removed heatsink, then shroud. Removed stock fan and installed heatsink back on.

I grafted a 120mm @ 5V using tie-wraps. Wow temps have dropped 3C at idle (haven't run it at load yet). Best bit is though, my PC is now much quieter.Almost silent in fact :D