Nvidia got some explaining to do

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mattek

Nvidia got some explaining to do

Post by mattek » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:29 pm

Interesting read:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=25807

Might not be a dealbreaker for some. But if Nvidia feels the need to skimp on picture quality to gain performance, what does that say about their chips and architecture?

Feyrhel

Post by Feyrhel » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:55 pm

So a 30% drop in performance if you set AF to what it "should" be?

I wonder if there will be more coverage on this, I want to see some screen shots of the flickering.

JonV

Post by JonV » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:58 pm

Feyrhel wrote:So a 30% drop in performance if you set AF to what it "should" be?
Umm... not quite. Some germans messed with the driver until they prevented it from recognizing the card, which eliminated the AF problem but also lowered performance by 30%. Repeat after me: Correlation does not imply causation. Even if their messing with the driver caused the AF situation to change, there is a million other things that could have changed at the same time, causing the performance drop.

This doesn't mean Nvidia isn't doing what they're being accused of here, it just means the 30% figure is 70% sure to be bogus (and incidentally, 87% of all statistics are made up).

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:31 pm

There's still the alleged under sampling causing flickering issue, which was determined by a separate group of people.

It might be too early to see if anything comes of this, but this isn't the first time I read some analysis about Nvidia sacrificing image quality for more speed.

fierce_freak

Post by fierce_freak » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:37 pm

ATI does it, too...and no I'm not a fanboy of either. I'm not talking exactly what nVidia has done, but ATI has sacrificed image quality for speed.

There's a very large thread going on about this over at the [H].

nVidia has issued some sort of statement that the flickering issue will be resolved.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:39 pm

fierce_freak wrote:ATI does it, too...and no I'm not a fanboy of either. I'm not talking exactly what nVidia has done, but ATI has sacrificed image quality for speed.

There's a very large thread going on about this over at the [H].

nVidia has issued some sort of statement that the flickering issue will be resolved.
Hmm... didn't know that. Too bad there was no way to have two sets of drivers available or a simple software option to switch between "fast" or "pretty". :mrgreen:

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:01 pm

BrianE wrote:Hmm... didn't know that. Too bad there was no way to have two sets of drivers available or a simple software option to switch between "fast" or "pretty". :mrgreen:
Sure you do. Just go into display settings and turn on/off AA/AF manually :D

pipperoni

Post by pipperoni » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:38 pm

fierce_freak wrote:ATI does it, too...
Yes, but the trick is to do it and not get caught (ie visible artifacts)

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:28 pm

both ATI and nvidia does this and they are both noticeable in screenshots, though i can't tell the difference in real gameplay.

rpsgc
Friend of SPCR

Post by rpsgc » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:42 am

Have you downloaded the videos?

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:55 pm

lenny wrote: Sure you do. Just go into display settings and turn on/off AA/AF manually :D
Nah, too drastic. :P