Connecting 3-Pin Zalman to 2-Pin Graphics card

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Connecting 3-Pin Zalman to 2-Pin Graphics card

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:38 am

Well im just wondering what you think the easiest way of connecting the 3-pin Fan on the Zalman VF900-Cu to the 2-pin header on my 6600GT would be.

I know it’s not completely necessary but I like to control the speeds with RivaTuner. And I can have a wider variety of speeds then too.

Bobfantastic

Post by Bobfantastic » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:00 am

Probably the easiest thing to do is to snip off the connector from the end of the stock fan, strip about 5mm of the wire on the end of the connector, and thread the whole thing into the outside sockets on the Zalman (I think the middle wire is just for RPM measurments, they're all colour-coded anyway). The whole thing just plugs straight into the board as usual.
This saves any soldering or hacking up the Zalman, if you want to put it through a fan-mate or something in the future.

zenboy

Post by zenboy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:13 am

Another option - If you take off the white socket that surrounds the fan pins on the graphics card, the three pin connector will probably just slide onto them. A little goober of hot melt would make sure that the weight of the cable didn't pull it off. Not that I've done this, mind you, but I don't think it would be undoable.

Operandi

Post by Operandi » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:20 am

Wire cutters, wire strippers, soldering iron, and heat shrink tubing.

Cut the connectors off of both fans, and swap them.

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:12 pm

Bobfantastic wrote:Probably the easiest thing to do is to snip off the connector from the end of the stock fan, strip about 5mm of the wire on the end of the connector, and thread the whole thing into the outside sockets on the Zalman (I think the middle wire is just for RPM measurments, they're all colour-coded anyway). The whole thing just plugs straight into the board as usual.
This saves any soldering or hacking up the Zalman, if you want to put it through a fan-mate or something in the future.
zenboy wrote:Another option - If you take off the white socket that surrounds the fan pins on the graphics card, the three pin connector will probably just slide onto them. A little goober of hot melt would make sure that the weight of the cable didn't pull it off. Not that I've done this, mind you, but I don't think it would be undoable.
operandi wrote:Wire cutters, wire strippers, soldering iron, and heat shrink tubing.

Cut the connectors off of both fans, and swap them.
Hmm so many options I think ill start with the first one seeing at it takes the least effort then second one if that doesn’t work because I don’t have any solder. But if all else fails ill go and buy myself some solder :D

sjschwinn

Re: Connecting 3-Pin Zalman to 2-Pin Graphics card

Post by sjschwinn » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:06 pm

Fat_bloater_dave wrote:Well im just wondering what you think the easiest way of connecting the 3-pin Fan on the Zalman VF900-Cu to the 2-pin header on my 6600GT would be.

I know it’s not completely necessary but I like to control the speeds with RivaTuner. And I can have a wider variety of speeds then too.
I use these: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=3597

See here: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... 8c7244dc39

Fat_bloater_dave
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Connecting 3-Pin Zalman to 2-Pin Graphics card

Post by Fat_bloater_dave » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:47 pm

Thanx that would be exacly what i was looking for but im from the UK and i dont want to spend £5 on postage of something that costs £0.50. and i cant find anywhere in the UK that sells these.