Horizontal Case Fans?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

arf80

Horizontal Case Fans?

Post by arf80 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:21 pm

I want to remove the stock fan and shroud from my video card and mount a case fan directly below it, blowing up. However the Yate Loon 120mm case fans I have will fail if mounted horizontally. What quiet fans exist that can run horizontally, and does anyone cool their card this way?

nici

Post by nici » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Pretty much any ball bearing fan can be run horizontal. I have ordered a few fans from Dorothy and should receive them later this week so i can tell you what i think about them. Two are ball bearing, one is FDB.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:53 am

The Yate-Loon might have a shorter lifespan when mounted horizontally, but your GPU should throttle down if it dies on you, plus you would have other warning signs that your card was getting much too hot (artifacts, crashes, BSODs, etc).

Those fans are so cheap, you can afford to replace them once a year if you have to.

The only other problem might be that it would not start at as low of a voltage compared to vertical mounting, due to increased friction on the sleeve. It might also be noisier, but it's still a good (no, great) fan.