Asus Radeon X1600Pro Silent, good?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

Asus Radeon X1600Pro Silent, good?

Post by RaptorZX3 » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:30 pm

ok i thought maybe i would change my whole video card with Passive Cooling instead of buying a Schooner VGA cooler.

but i wonder if the Asus Radeon X1600Pro silent 256mb would be good for me? since between my main board and my case, the PCIe slot is somewhat a bit far from the rear 120mm tri-cool fan, do you think the cooling will be enough?

on the side note, where do you put all the leftover cables (if you don't have a modular-cable PSU) in your Sonata 2? (if you do use this case)

link to the video card in question:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=2 ... odelmenu=1

Arvo

Post by Arvo » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:12 am

I recently bought this beast: Gigabyte X1650Pro Silent-Pipe II (some bigger pictures here). So far so good, although build quality is terrible. Unfortunately this card has no temperature sensor, thereby I don't know its actual temperature. According to google (coldn't find article ATM) Gigabyte SilentPipe cooling is pretty efficient.
Last edited by Arvo on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:46 am

RaptorZX3 wrote:on the side note, where do you put all the leftover cables (if you don't have a modular-cable PSU) in your Sonata 2? (if you do use this case)
I suggest that you start a topic with this question in "Cases and Damping."

Raptor, since you seem to like lots of suggestions before diving in, you'll probably get more hits in that forum. And there are many clever cable origamists within SPCR. I'll post my detailed answers over there.

StanF

Post by StanF » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:01 am

The 7600 series from Nvidia uses less power than the X16xx series. There's a very good article on xbitlabs where they tested various cards for power consumption.

I personally use the Gigabyte 7600GT Silent Pipe Cooler. The less heat the card dissipates, the lower the temperatures.