HR-03 PLUS

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bemaitea2

Post by Bemaitea2 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:10 pm

Sigh....

We wouldn't have heat problems and space issues if nVida (and ATi, I was expecting a bit more from the R600, as in smaller and watt friendly) invested more time in R&D.

GPU manf. seem to want us to shell out $600+ every year for a "new and better" video cards.

Yes granted an 8800GTX will KILL my current 7800GTX. But you know where I win? My electric bill and the noise I save from, essentially, 2 7800's slapped onto one card.

Of course you can put ~700mb of RAM and a crazy fast proc. onto the vid. card, but thats just like making a 700HP (not Hit Points) 350Z. Its sure as hell nice, but its not going to win Le Mans.

Give me a 65nm 8800 with GDDR4 and HALF THE DAMN SIZE/HEAT and we are in business.

Rant. :D

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:23 pm

It seems to me that the following observations have not been refuted:

Thermalright strongly suggests the addition of a 92mm fan, with no specified cfm.

It is highly improbable that mounting the cooler on the cpu side will allow such a fan to be mounted. Even without a fan, Northbridge coolers will be an obstacle for many scenarios.

With the cooler oriented on the "downside" with a fan, it will take up 4 PCI slots, and possibly 5. This is unprecedented.

Thermalright suggests that the fan blow toward the card, which does very little to remove any of the heat that these very hot cards produce.

So silent passive cooling seems very unlikely in this application, and it is not yet clear to me how much air the 92mm fan must move in order to optimize cooling ( which seems to be a 15 degree gpu heat reduction). So the HR-03 may need a fan that is noisier than the stock fan to make a significant difference in gpu temp. Since the stock cooler exhausted a fair amount of heat out of the case, one must in some way compensate for that loss of exhaust when using the HR-03. This often is done by running case fans at a higher speed, which creates more noise.

This cooler seems to be most effective for overclockers who don't need most of their PCI slots and aren't concerned about a "moderate" amount of fan noise or average case temps. (rather than a quiet pc with low case temps.)

Unless someone comes up with a creative modification of Thermalright's suggested approach ( which I would love to see), this product does not seem suitable for the SPCR market.

TMM

Post by TMM » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:23 pm

[quote="Aris"]ROFLMAO!!!!!!

quoted from thermalrights website, which was quoted from a review done by legion hardware. tell me whats wrong with this:

""The standard Nvidia cooler actually pushes a lot of hot air into the case and the air that does get trapped in the case is extremely hot! However, the air coming off the HR-03 Plus was never that warm, so the case temperature remained much lower. Furthermore the HR-03 Plus does not create the heat spots caused by the standard cooler, as it evenly distributes the warm air throughout the case. This makes the HR-03 Plus far more efficient than the standard Nvidia cooler.â€

reyn116

Post by reyn116 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:22 am

ryboto wrote:do some research on how heatpipes work. they don't rely on gravity, they use wicks and capillary action draws cool fluid back to the base. Look at my sig, if the HR-03 relied on gravity, my video card would have melted by now.

quoting legion hardware's review on the HR-03 Plus
If you are to ensure that your graphics card is receiving the full benefits of such a design, you have to consider which way to mount the heatsink. Remembering that heatpipe technology relies heavily on gravity to restore the liquid to the bottom of the heatsink, it would be difficult for such a process to take place if the heatsink was upside down.
:roll:

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:42 am

reyn116 wrote:
ryboto wrote:do some research on how heatpipes work. they don't rely on gravity, they use wicks and capillary action draws cool fluid back to the base. Look at my sig, if the HR-03 relied on gravity, my video card would have melted by now.

quoting legion hardware's review on the HR-03 Plus
If you are to ensure that your graphics card is receiving the full benefits of such a design, you have to consider which way to mount the heatsink. Remembering that heatpipe technology relies heavily on gravity to restore the liquid to the bottom of the heatsink, it would be difficult for such a process to take place if the heatsink was upside down.
:roll:
they obviously don't know what they're talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pipe

edit: Legion hardware actually does mention that it uses a wick, but they don't seem to understand that it works regardless of orientation(note the last sentence)

"Thermalright have most likely used a method that is called wicking or wick, to reduce the necessity of gravity within the design. This is when the inside of the heatpipes are lined with materials, such as sintered metal or fine wire mesh, which enable the working fluid from the cold end to be compacted back to the hot end, thus allowing the evaporation process to take place once again. The best orientation for the HR-03 Plus is to be laying flat, which is how it would be positioned in a standard ATX case."

Think about it, would tower heat sinks even work in a tower-case if they relied only on gravity?