Short 8800GTS Review

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

PopCorn

Short 8800GTS Review

Post by PopCorn » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:12 am

I will be doing a short review of the 8800GTS later today when it arrives, I will be listing Idle temps, Load temps, and be compairing noise. Among other things Like its general proformance.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:36 pm

ok this small review is gonna be smaller than i thought it was because the drives for the 8800gts dont work for crap on vist.... but this is what iv concluded so far..... 1st off the stock cooler isnt nearly as loud as any other stock coolers iv seen... so i bought a antec slot blower under it to help with temps... for frame rate wise i get 60fps lowest and about 100 highest (this is on quake4 with every thing maxed out), but seeing how the drives suck and i cant get the temps of it im going to have to guess its about 100F on load and alittle warmer that room temp idle... i will get more info when i load win xp up so i can use the drivers

<edit> i got drivers to work on vista... the idle temp is 54C with fan speed at 224RPM give me five minutes and ill hyave the load temps

On Load the card got up to 60C but that is with a antec slot blower pulling heat out of the case

kernel32

Post by kernel32 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:07 pm

Is that REALLY 224rpm?! :shock: Man, that's slow! Anyhow, it's a blower so it should move more air than a fan... shouldn't it?
Also, does the driver show the fan duty cycle?

Varun

Post by Varun » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:29 pm

Quake 4 is an OpenGL based game and Vista has no built in support for OpenGL. Your frame rates are actually pretty good considering that. Vista has put the onus on the hardware makers to write openGL support into their drivers so expect your performance to increase when that happens.

The card is actually dead silent - I have one too. Mine runs mid 60's though with low speed fans in my case.

JohnnyWakko

Post by JohnnyWakko » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:33 pm

What brand/maker 8800GTS you got? Wont the fan be different for each supplier/brand/maker? Ie Sapphier, Gigabytel, Asus, or who ever makes em? Or do all of them come with a stock Nvidia cooler/fan/thingymajig?

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Nvidia controls the production of 8800 series cards and all are manufactured by Foxconn and possible other contract mfgrs. The OEMs get to change the sticker on the fan cover and maybe just maybe spec the memory used for the little bit of overclocking allowed on the 8800gts. So, the fans should all be the same.