New Thermalright V2!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Bobfantastic

New Thermalright V2!

Post by Bobfantastic » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:41 am

From here, released 1st June.
Going into the second quarter of 2007, we have more video chipsets to choose from to satisfy the need in every one of us. What is constant is the fact that VGA heatsinks (stock and after-market) are getting bigger and bigger. For those not having the size, rely heavily on fans with high RPM to dissipate the heat. But then again, having the size doesn’t always translate into good performance and in most cases, bigger always means more money in terms of cost. That’s why Thermalright designed a VGA cooler to pinpoint the fine balance between size and cost for the average Joe in rest of us. We call it, V2.

V2 will only take up one slot and you get to select the 80mm fan of your choice, depending on your preference for noise. The Thermalright design allows for greater flexibility. In a lot of other VGA heatsinks, the fans are often incorporated into the cooling system to save space but making it impossible to fix or replace should the fan stop working. The solution is to send the entire heatsink unit back for repair. With V2, you’ll have none of that to worry about. Just replace the fan and go!

To have the proper after-market VGA heatsink for your HTPC system is near impossible when looking to replace your stock cooling. In a narrow, space limited surrounding, most heatsink will not be able to perform to the desired level and some will not even fit into the case. V2 will solve all of the above problems.

SLI and Crossfire have become a norm among enthusiasts. V2 with its smaller body works perfectly to the occasion. The main features of V2 are that it’s made of full copper with four 6mm heatpipes custom tailored to every fin and with its multi-compatible mounting mechanism; it’s the best value for your bucks!

Looks quite nice, although it does require a fan- full product listing here.
Pros-

Single slot cooling,
All copper,
4x6mm pipes,
Supports x1950Pro

Cons-

Tight fin spacing,
Requires fan (92mm, possibly mounted parallel to the motherboard, given the cooler is 'sli compatible'),
290g before the weight of the fan,
Doesn't support 8800 series

Thoughts?
Bring on the review!

Mr Evil

Re: New Thermalright V2!

Post by Mr Evil » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:27 pm

Bobfantastic wrote:Single slot cooling,
All copper,
4x6mm pipes,
Supports x1950Pro
I don't like that. There have been plenty of examples of heatsinks made in both copper and aluminium versions, and the copper never adds anything much except weight and cost. It's almost always far, far more effective to have a larger number of thicker aluminium fins rather than copper. Copper does look nice though.

angelkiller

Post by angelkiller » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:24 pm

Bobfantastic wrote:Pros-

Single slot cooling,
All copper,
4x6mm pipes,
Supports x1950Pro
Wow, looks really cool. (get it?) :wink: :lol:

If they can get that under $30, I'd really consider one. I like the whole idea, the cheaper-than-a-HR-03 design. Looks plenty powerful enough to handle all midrange cards. If this is significantly less expensive than a HR-03, I would consider buying one.

Good work Thermalright!

Matija

Post by Matija » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:27 pm

Copper is more expensive than aluminum, so I doubt that V2 can go below the price of the HR-03.

Also, even if they say that X1950 Pro is supported, I'd take that with a grain of salt until we see how they tackled VRM cooling.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:48 am

Matija wrote:Copper is more expensive than aluminum, so I doubt that V2 can go below the price of the HR-03.

Also, even if they say that X1950 Pro is supported, I'd take that with a grain of salt until we see how they tackled VRM cooling.
I use the HR-03 passive on my x1950pro, no VRM heatsinks either. Folded with it, play games with it, haven't seen an issue with Video stability, be it lock ups, or artifacts yet.

As for the V2...i was waiting for someone to start a thread about it. Is this the first copper heatsink thermalright has produced? This is a good thing though, imagine the performance of the HR-03, only much less volume is required.

Tzupy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tzupy » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:03 am

I already read a review of the V2, and it said to be not as good as the HR-03. It's more compact however, it may be used in SLI / Crossfire.
Can't remember where, sorry, but I just had stability problems - one of my Corsair 6400 memory modules crapped out.

Matija

Post by Matija » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:10 am

ryboto wrote:I use the HR-03 passive on my x1950pro, no VRM heatsinks either. Folded with it, play games with it, haven't seen an issue with Video stability, be it lock ups, or artifacts yet.
Yeah, I know that from the other thread, but I'm still inclined to believe that you are insanely lucky :) People have VRM issues even with stock cooling (which should work by default).

ryboto wrote:As for the V2...i was waiting for someone to start a thread about it. Is this the first copper heatsink thermalright has produced? This is a good thing though, imagine the performance of the HR-03, only much less volume is required.
Yup, smaller and not as heavy. If it can at least duplicate the performance of the HR-03, which is IMHO awesome, they have a winner.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:11 am

Matija wrote:People have VRM issues even with stock cooling (which should work by default).
if that's true, they should return the cards, right?