Got my new 9600GT - now some noob questions!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Max Dread

Got my new 9600GT - now some noob questions!

Post by Max Dread » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi guys

Just bought myself a new GC, the PNY Technologies 9600GT.

Now first of all apologies for being a noob and asking some basic questions! But here they are:

1. The BIOS version is 62.94.11.00.52. SHould I llok to update this or is it ok? What would be the advantages of updating and where would I get the update from?

2. I have installed the latest driver (I think: Version 175.19). Is that correct? I downloaded it from the nVidia website.

3. Should I install software? I have found nTune 5.05 and nVidia System Tools with ESA Support? They seem similar and I am confused about the difference and which one I should use.

The fan on the card runs full pelt all the time - can the software help to make it run slower during idle and 2D work? I thought the driver would do this but so far it isn't.

4. I thought I was getting the card pictured here:

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/Sea ... CatId=2696

but mine appears different. The fan is at the other end of the card, near the DVI slots. And the heatsink is plain black with no white stripes or any art at all. I've also noticed the box is different to some of the ones pictured on some websites. Mine has a woman with a sword (see above link), while others look like this:

http://www.probsolvexpress.com/products ... 0GN1F51XPB

Also, most mention "Verto" as part of the product name whereas mine has no mention of "verto". So what's the score? Have I got an older version of the card maybe and if so does it matter? I bought it open box....

My case pulls air from the front and has 3 case fans running across the middle. So I thought the version with the fan near the nd would be better and help push the hot air out the back. I think the version Ive got will push air back into the middle of the case? Maybe time for an accelero?

I've only got a short warranty because it was OB so if anyone can help with any of this I would really appreciate it.

This site has been a real help over the last few weeks. Thanks to all.

Max.

sjoukew

Post by sjoukew » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:54 am

I can at least answer some questions:
1. bios: If there is an bios update, make sure it is from your manufacturer and for your specific model , type and version.
Usually there are no bios updates for vga cards available.

2. If you got it from the nv. website, it is probably the newest. Sometimes beta drivers do circulate, but I wouldn't use them if I didn't have to.

3. Software isn't needed, but sometimes it can do some things you like which the drivers can't do, like changing the fanspeed.

Sometimes card manufacturers make their own version of the vga drivers, with added functionality, like changing fanspeed. The website of your manufacturer should give the answers and the drivers if they are there.