Sapphire (dual slot) 4850 + accelero s1

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ciril

Sapphire (dual slot) 4850 + accelero s1

Post by Ciril » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:39 am

Hi all

I'm looking to make a quiet case and was wondering if the Accelero S1 would fit on the non-reference dual slot 4850 made by Sapphire. Currently it's the loudest component in my PC.

If it does, will it fit in the Antec SOLO?

Thanks in advance

maf718

Post by maf718 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:20 am

Hi, I remember someone once posted on these forums that they fitted an S1 to the Sapphire Dual Slot, but they were not using a Solo case. (They had to move a HDD to fit it in their particular case iirc.)

If you print out the height restriction drawing from AC, http://www.arctic-cooling.com/downloads ... oS1_r2.pdf and print it 100% size you should be able to line it up with your card and see if it fits in the Solo. Hope that is some help. :)

Ciril

Post by Ciril » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:08 am

Ok, thanks. Now I just need to know if the card would fit in the solo.
Your idea was great, but I don't actually have the solo yet. I bought (am buying I guess) my PC in two installments: first I got all the inner workings in a throwaway case with a (fairly decent I might add) 400W Fortron PSU and now I'm getting a vx450, S1 and a decent case. I was all set on the solo, but if it doesn't fit I guess I'll have to go with something else.

maf718

Post by maf718 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:27 am

Oh, I see.

I have a graphics card here that I recently removed from a Solo and the PCB is 23cm long. I would say this is very close to being the maximum length of card you can install in Solo if that is any help.

Edit: and the space between the PCI bracket and the HDD cage is approx 26.3cm.

Ciril

Post by Ciril » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:43 am

Hm, no chance then. The PCB looks to be about 21cm (don't have anything decent to measure with) and the GPU is further back on this version. Here's a pic:

edit: I guess I'll get the cooler, fit it with a fan etc and then see how long it is. If I can't get away with a solo I'll probably spend the extra ~60$ on a P182.

Ciril

Post by Ciril » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:50 am

I'll mention just for reference: the Accelero S1 Rev2 fits perfectly on the sapphire dual-slot PCB. I don't have decent measuring device, but it's ~26cm long. Doesn't even fit in my current case. However when I put the original cooler back on (with new thermal paste) I noticed a temp drop of about 5 degrees Celsius :)

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:33 am

Ciril,

If you do get the Solo, please update this thread with your findings (and measurements if possible!!).

Thanks!

EDIT: I took some measurements of my Solo case. It's about 25.8cm from the back edge of my video card PCB to the edge of the hard drive cage. So if your measurement of 26cm is comparable to mine, the combination of the card and the Accelero would extend slightly into the hard drive cage. So then the question is how "tall" is the combination of the two? I measured the distance from my mobo to the inside edge of the hard drive cage, and it's about 15.2cm. I think if you measure the height of your card including the PCI-E connector, the measurements would be comparable.

It's starting to look like you might need to just try it and see how it works out.

Ciril

Post by Ciril » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:15 am

Ok, Dave, I'll try to measure the distances, but first I'll have to go out and buy a ruler or something. Right now I just used an IDE cable to mark the length and then used an online ruler :D.

I'm probably going to go with a P182B though. The solo costs ~110$ w/o shipping and that's just too expensive a gamble for me. The P182B is ~60$ more, but at least then I won't have to sell the case and get a new one if the gfx card doesn't fit.

roilev

Post by roilev » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:30 am

sorry I don't heave measurements.

Yes, Accelero S1 fits on the dual-slot (blue card) sapphire 4850
But on this board the GPU is further back (and maybe slightly up) than the reference board, so the Accelero mounted is longer than the motherboard

I removed the top black plastic hat of the Accelero, because it runs through the middle of the side panel fan.

Ciril

Post by Ciril » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:29 am

Thanks for the info. Why do you have ramsinks on the back of the PCB though? Or am I seeing it wrong?

Ciril

Post by Ciril » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:56 am

Dave wrote:Ciril,

If you do get the Solo, please update this thread with your findings (and measurements if possible!!).

Thanks!

EDIT: I took some measurements of my Solo case. It's about 25.8cm from the back edge of my video card PCB to the edge of the hard drive cage. So if your measurement of 26cm is comparable to mine, the combination of the card and the Accelero would extend slightly into the hard drive cage. So then the question is how "tall" is the combination of the two? I measured the distance from my mobo to the inside edge of the hard drive cage, and it's about 15.2cm. I think if you measure the height of your card including the PCI-E connector, the measurements would be comparable.

It's starting to look like you might need to just try it and see how it works out.
Hm .. seems like I might be able to get the solo after all. The length of the card + cooler is about 250-252mm and it's height is about 160mm. It seems that it would fit (though just barely) and even if it doesn't I might just get away with removing the black plastic piece on top of the S1 and possibly bending 2 of the fins on the heatsink.

maf718

Post by maf718 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:11 pm

There is definately at least 260mm between the back of the case and the HDD cage in a Solo, so it sounds like you have about 10mm wiggle room. The 160mm width will not be a problem.

Ciril

Post by Ciril » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:19 am

Thanks for your help everyone, I just ordered the case and it should arrive within the next week. I'll update this post with results then :)

Ciril

Post by Ciril » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:30 am

The case arrived yesterday and I just finished installing all the bits and pieces in it (I'd have done this yesterday, but I was out of MX-2 and the store was closed by then). The Accelero fits fine in the case with a comfy 7mm wiggle room. Temps dropped from 45C @ idle to 37@idle (I haven't done any stress testing yet).

I'll also point out that the SOLO is awesome. I finally understand all the hype about the case on these forums :D.

edit: Load temps seem to top out at 51C using ATI Tool artifact test.

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:38 pm

Ciril, thanks so much for updating your post. Very excited to hear that it fit for you. I will be picking up an Accelero for my dual-slot as soon as I can!