Dual Slot GPU Cooler Modifcations

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Cardnyl

Dual Slot GPU Cooler Modifcations

Post by Cardnyl » Mon May 04, 2009 7:25 am

Acoustically speaking would cutting the slots on the PCI bracket (shown here) have any appreciable effect in the sound signature of the cooler? I tried searching in this section but I didn't find a post about it. If anyone has tried it or know of someone who has tried it I am curious to hear about it.

Also, I have contemplated lapping the heatsink for a GTX 260 but it seems to be easier to find folks who ended up lapping the IHS on the core instead of the copper plate on the HSF. Has anyone done this (or seen it done) to any degree of success?

Thanks in advance.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon May 04, 2009 8:59 am

Doubtful that cutting the grill (which I assume is what you're talking about) would have much impact except at very high fan speed -- at which point the fan would be the main noise maker anyway.

Lapping? Why would you bother with such a high risk/labor operation?

What's the issue anyway? Noise? cooling? What model vga card, case, fans?

Cardnyl

Post by Cardnyl » Mon May 04, 2009 9:38 am

MikeC wrote:Doubtful that cutting the grill (which I assume is what you're talking about) would have much impact except at very high fan speed -- at which point the fan would be the main noise maker anyway.

Lapping? Why would you bother with such a high risk/labor operation?

What's the issue anyway? Noise? cooling? What model vga card, case, fans?
Yep its the grill I was speaking of. I've had very good results in the past temp wise lapping cpu heatsinks. The video card in question is a GTX 260 Core 216. It was running a bit hot compared to what I've seen other cards at stock running (56c idle/82c load with a intake temp of 24C). Running the fan at a higher % caused a noticeable whoosh noise that I assumed could be mitigated if the grill was modified in some way. I was also looking for alternate ways to keep the temps down (like HSF lapping) while using the stock cooling.

So far I tried replacing the 1.6 tons of gray TIM that was applied to the IHS stock with some Arctic Cooling MX2 but for the first time in 10 years applying a high quality TIM actually failed me and resulted in even higher temps. I plan on reapplying the TIM later this evening but I figured I might lap as a backup should a reapplication fail to produce favorable results.

*edit I modified my profile to include my case, cpu HSF and all fans in use. Sorry for not having that on there before.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon May 04, 2009 9:49 am

(56c idle/82c load with a intake temp of 24C)
That looks perfectly good, imo. If the stock cooler is quiet enough, then I'd leave it all alone, personally.

Cardnyl

Post by Cardnyl » Mon May 04, 2009 11:12 am

MikeC wrote:
(56c idle/82c load with a intake temp of 24C)
That looks perfectly good, imo. If the stock cooler is quiet enough, then I'd leave it all alone, personally.
The sound at stock seems fine I am just not accustomed to having something so hot (especially under folding) running inside my case. The urge to crank up the fan and suppress the temps is great. I think when I reapplied the TIM i went to thin with the layer and ended up with 85C temps using the same F@H work unit and ambient conditions. I think I will reapply before taking more drastic warranty voiding measures. Thanks again.

Cardnyl

Post by Cardnyl » Tue May 05, 2009 7:14 am

Reopened it and had a look at the imprint the paste left on the hsf and it was pretty bad. Half the heatsink was completely clean. There was a very thin layer on all of the IHS its just that half of the IHS made no TIM imprint on the HSF. I knew the imprint was light but I didn't think the GPU would need so much paste. Cleaned it all up and reapplied, this time making sure to be a bit more generous. I dropped a glob of MX2 about 1/3 the size of a US Dime and then flattened it with the weight of the HSF. Removed it to see a nice circular splotch.

Results:
2-3C lower at 26C room ambient. If I recall correctly the TIM I'm using has no cure time so now all I need to do is get my hands on a 511pt folding@home WU to test out the load temps.

I used some zip ties to ensure a clear unobstructed path from the front intake fan to the gpu's blower. I did notice that the card seems to be drawing air from the back of the case via the slotted expansion covers at the rear of the case. Would it be a good idea to replace these with solid ones?