Any low powered Nvidia cards?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

valnar

Any low powered Nvidia cards?

Post by valnar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:07 am

After looking at the xbitlabs charts, it appears there is no Nvidia based offering that is low powered when the computer is idle. I only occasionally play a video game, but I do leave my PC on 24/7. My last several video cards were all ATI (and it's coming back to me why!), but I wanted to try something different for a change.

Are there any low-powered Nvidia card out there, where performance is actually decent?

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:22 pm

You need to qualify what you mean by "low" power and "decent" performance. The lowest draws for any current generation graphics card seem to be in the 10-15W range. Almost everything but with lowest-end of the current cards will play any game at a decent frame-rate at 1024X768 resolution and medium settings. It's when you need higher resolutions and/or settings that things get trickier.

valnar

Post by valnar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:08 am

As much as I wanted to try an nvidia card, I couldn't pass up the 8.7 watt idle power of a 4670. I just bought one of those instead. If the nvidia 9600GT used less power at idle, it would have been a good choice, but oh well.

Shamgar

Post by Shamgar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:48 am

The lowest power discrete Nvidia card currently is probably the GeForce 8400 GS, however, this is largely a discontinued line. It idles at between 10-15W. Not the best, especially when compared to ATI's recent offerings like the Radeon HD 4670 you just bought which performs much better in just about everything. Granted, not a fair comparison, but even one that is--being the HD 4350,--would prove the same.

I know what you mean by wanting to try something different; I've been using ATI for years with overall good results. I've been wanting to try Nvidia to see the difference for myself. Apart from the curiosity factor, I don't see a worthwhile reason to join the other team when the one you are on is doing okay and ranked at or near the top of the table.

valnar

Post by valnar » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Agreed.

Thanks.