AMD New Radeon 5870, 5850

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

JohnMK

Post by JohnMK » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:22 pm

If the "Cypress Pro" features a significantly different heatsink, then yes I'd say it's worth it to get the Vapor-X cooling, which the Toxic also uses.

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Sat May 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Hi all,

can a Thermalright T-Rad2 with a Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D (800 rpm) cool a Radeon HD 5850 inside a Antec SOLO at 30 °C or more of ambient temperature?

A Thermalright VRM-R4 would be used.

ck8-04

Post by ck8-04 » Sun May 16, 2010 7:46 am

That's my exact video card setup and it works much better than the stock cooling.

lor77

Post by lor77 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:54 am

Hi all.
I have the sappfire 5870 and im waiting for prolimatech mk-13 and thermalright vrm-r4 coolers, i will post some of my results as soon they arrive!

lb_felipe

Post by lb_felipe » Sun May 16, 2010 1:06 pm

ck8-04 wrote:That's my exact video card setup and it works much better than the stock cooling.
Thanks for the reply!

But do you think is the S-FLEX D enough in that context?

Consider that everything will be within a SOLO with just an exhaust fan (S-FLEX D too).

impressa

VRM-R5 with Accelero

Post by impressa » Tue May 18, 2010 3:50 am

It sounds like Accelero S1r2 and VRM-R4 make a good couple.
As R5 would be a tad cheaper for me, do you think that it is going to fit under Accelero as well (looks like the part that goes on the Mosfets is a bit higher than in R4)?

Cheers
I.

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Fri May 21, 2010 1:01 am

Wow, you can actually get the R5 cheaper than the R4 huh? well in any case, it won't fit, there's only round 12-14mm clearance between the card and the cooler. But man, the R5 is chunky. Almost as if Thermalright wanted to limit it to the Spitfire, since it would block a whole bunch of coolers.
Edit: Technical drawing for VRM-R5, and Accelero S1 (page 2 of PDF). You can see plate attachment height is 18mm on the R5, and clearance between card and heatsink on the S1 is 14.5mm at its lowest and 16.5mm at its highest. Both R3 and R5 have a mount height of 9mm.
Well, in any case, I just installed the S1 on my 5870. I bought the cooler off ryboto around several weeks ago, but I needed to grab some spare parts off the AC webstore; even though the cooler itself is a rev2, the parts that came with it were rev1, particularly the VRM cooler. Using the TwinTurbo Pro manual and photos as reference, this was how I placed my heatsinks:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/k ... G_0053.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j14/k ... G_0056.jpg
And Scythe Slipstream zip tied to cooler. Much cooler and quieter than stock, and VRMs aren't as hot as I thought they would be. Idling at low 40's atm, and tops out at around the same as stock cooling, and that's with the fan running at ~900RPM. So I think I can safely say, S1 is a success on the 5870.

JamieG

Post by JamieG » Sat May 22, 2010 4:39 pm

What are the two little adapters running between the Slipstream and the graphics card?

I'm guessing the first one connected to the Slipstream is a pwm converter and the second is a normal pwm to graphics card pwm converter. If so, where did you buy them? (I see you're in Melbourne as well but I couldn't find any of those adapters in Australia the last time I went looking.)

impressa

Post by impressa » Sun May 23, 2010 11:23 am

Thanks KayDat - that solves my dilemma.. I'll rush to get my R4 and then .. happy days :)

BTW, how long exactly (down to .1 inch) is your 5870 (from the frontplate till the end) ? Got about 10.7 clearance in my case, not sure if it'd fit if I opt to take a step up from the 5850 path.

Cheers

KayDat

Post by KayDat » Mon May 24, 2010 2:42 pm

@JamieG
Nope, no where in Australia. I know because I did copious research. ;]
This guy sells mini-PWM adaptors for $4.50USD shipped. As for PWM converter, you can get one off Dealextreme for $4.29USD shipped. Unfortunately, its just acting as a regular fan controller atm, I'm not sure if its because it's defective though, when I cracked it open, one of the caps were loose, which I soldered back on, but I'm not too sure if this actually converts PWM signals to voltage change. I'm going RMA the device, and I'll give you a heads up if my replacement works or not.

@impressa
Did you want measurement including stock cooler or just the card? The naked PCB is slightly shorter, but makes a difference; without the cooler, I can manage to fit the card in whilst keeping the upper drive cage installed on my P183. Can't actually install any drives into the cage (or use the fan clip for that matter), but it's good for funnelling air flow I suppose.

impressa

Post by impressa » Tue May 25, 2010 2:16 pm

KayDat, ideally I'd like to learn both.

Exel

Post by Exel » Mon May 31, 2010 2:21 am

Does anyone else have experiences with the Asus Direct-CU HD5850? It comes with a proprietary Asus cooler that's supposed to be quieter than the reference cooler, but mine has a slight but clearly audible rattle to it. The fan isn't otherwise audible at idle speeds, but the constant rattling sound of it is.

I'd like to know if this is normal or whether the fan is possibly defective before taking on the costs of returning the product.

Also, is there a practical replacement for the 80mm fan on the cooler that would be easier than replacing the whole cooler with an aftermarket solution?

Exel

Post by Exel » Mon May 31, 2010 2:29 am

And what would be a recommended aftermarket cooler for the 5850? The Vapor-X cooler I take it is not available separately?

Spirit02

Post by Spirit02 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Twin Turbo Pro a mate got for me a couple of weeks ago has been updated to be more compatible with the 5850.
The fins that wouldn't clear the DVI cover have been cut away, so no need to do that yourself.

I say 'more compatible', because on the XFX 5850 xxx edition, if you're planning to retain the stock backplate (recommended to keep VRMs cool), you'll need to grab an angle grinder (or similar tool), and carve out some grooves in the backplate - the heatpipes on the TTP don't clear it without modding.

The powercolor 5850 backplate seems to be ok without modding.
As per: viewtopic.php?t=57795

Exel

Post by Exel » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:51 am

Turns out the Asus DirectCU 5850 I had issues with had a defective fan. I received a new one today, and the improvement is significant, especially at low rpm fan speeds.

Whereas the old one used to have this whiny, rattling sound and was constantly audible even at the lowest rpm permitted by CCC (20% duty cycle), the card now remains inaudible in a normal daytime environment up to 30% fan speed. Any higher than that and the card is audible, but now the sound is a smoother swoosh, though slightly on the higher pitch side. At 40% fan speed the sound is still very tolerable even in a relatively quiet environment, and easily drowned by any music, movie or game sounds.

I should note that it's not in a silent system, but the only other sources of noise are two Noctua 120mm fans at 900-1300 rpm and two Fractal 120mm fans at 600 rpm, and at idle the Asus cooler gets drowned by those quiet fans.

Edit: And I should add that the card's cooling performance is so good that I have never seen the fan go above 30% duty cycle even in heavy gaming (ME2, BC2) in close to 30C ambient temperature.