quiet cooling for 5770

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

vonbosch

quiet cooling for 5770

Post by vonbosch » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:00 am

Hi all,

I want to quieten down a 5770 that I recently fitted to my system. All other components are spcr recommended and CPU is undervolted so baseline is pretty quiet.

My case is an Antec P193, a bit of a beast which I kind of regret buying due to its sheer size. My plan was to utilise the 200mm Bad Boy fan, err... Big Boy fan, to blow air on to the 5770. I have a fan controller and when undervolted it is quieter that the 5770 fan, even when the 5770 is only running at 20% (which is much quieter that its default 40%). On the 5770 I would have a Thermalright HR-03 and would also fit a couple of low RPM case fans to improve airflow. I assume that due to the low idle power consumption of the 5770, the HR-03 would cool it passively when idling. The fan controller can ramp of fan speed when playing games.

My questions are: Will this work? especially given that the 200mm fan won't be blowing through the heatsink fins (it will be blowing on to the top of it). And: Does anyone have a better suggestion?

I am also considering adding an arctic cooling turbo module to get more airflow through the fins of the HR-03.

TIA!