Which HD5750? With/without fan?

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Poseidon09

Which HD5750? With/without fan?

Post by Poseidon09 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:42 am

Hello! I'm about to buy a Radeon HD5750 for an Antec Solo but I'm not sure which one to choose. It will not be used for gaming, I've chosen this card because it has all the connections I need (Dual DVI, HDMI and displayport). The highest stress it will endure is playing 1080p-movies.

I don't know whether to choose a fanless alternative (Radeon Go! Green SCS3 f.e.) or one with a fan. It will not be used for gaming so maybe one with a fan that is quiet during idle would be favourable to stop it from heating other components as well? I don't have any problem with mounting a separate cooler on it.

So should I choose a fanless HD5750 or one with a fan? Which brand and which cooler? What do you think is the most favourable alternative?

Thanks for your help!
/Poseidon09

Spod
Patron of SPCR

Post by Spod » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:40 am

First question - if you're not gaming, will none of the lesser 5000 series cards support the outputs you need? The 5450 is perfectly fine as long as you're not de-interlacing and post-processing 1080i content, and it's cool and passive, but I don't know if there is one with the outputs you require. So, you want all three of HDMI, displayport and dual-link DVI at once?

Assuming you're right, and you need at least the 5750 to get those ports, I'd get the passive one. Since you're not gaming, it won't add that much heat to the system, so it won't matter that it isn't pushing that heat out of the back of the case. Silence is golden, and it's one less moving part to fail.

iatacs19

Post by iatacs19 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:13 am

I agree with Spod 100%. If you don't play games then 5450 will do.

The green 5750 is very convenient b/c it's silent and doesn't need any power except PCIe bus power. Powercolor did a good job reducing the maximum power used to be below 75W at all times.