Help me find aftermarket cooler please!

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

serpent

Help me find aftermarket cooler please!

Post by serpent » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:56 pm

Hi

I have a antec p180 with passive core 2 duo and passive 4850. I love the silence....but its time for an upgrade...

Im looking for the Best aftermarket cooler (i dont want a water setup), pleeease give me your thoughts on the matter :)

I think the best fast(er) and silent solution looks like the ati 6850, but with what cooler? Is this the best solution, i have a spare case fan to strap on if needed...

* Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/2 ... tml?c=2182

They claim this cooler works with 6870 but to me that seems unlikely, what do you guys think?

serpent

Re: Help me find aftermarket cooler please!

Post by serpent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:17 am

Which cooler is more quiet, the artic twin or extreme?

andymcca

Post by andymcca » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 am

serpent wrote:* Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev. 2

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga/2 ... tml?c=2182

They claim this cooler works with 6870 but to me that seems unlikely, what do you guys think?
I would think you'd want the fan on it. Maybe zip-tie a slip stream (or other quiet 120mm fan) to it? This would help cool other (non-GPU) chips too, which is always nice.
Of course, its worth watching your thermals during some stress tests after installing a new cooling solution. Be sure to let your thermal compound set, too (especially if using something like AS ceramique)!

serpent

Post by serpent » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:47 pm

thank you for your answer :)

I have been reading a lot af reviews now and the shaman seems like a good choise also. Only drawback is the the fan has to be mb controlled, does that have any real impact on me as a user? Surely there must be control software for the MB fans also?

Anyone know exactly why the shaman fan can not be card controlled
køl.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

appletree

Post by appletree » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:05 am

Because Thermalright does not provide reduction for the fan that would fit into pwm connector on card. You would need a reduction vga pwm to normal fan pwm which can be found only on ebay - than it works. I am not sure though if you can make it idle at 300-400 rpm and full load at 600 rpm (which is more you'll ever need for 6850). If you are fine with 600rpm idle than you don't need to control the fan.

Btw Shaman seems a bit pricey compared to 6850 / 6870 - have you looked at Gelid Icy rev.2 ? Should be compatible with 6870 and much cheaper than Shaman. (Also takes only 3 slots)