Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mouettus

photoshop

Post by mouettus » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:59 am

No need to extrapolate on the details

- 150-200 budget
- silent/quiet
- latest features

Photoshop and occasional gaming (once per 2 months)

Now should I go the card+cooler way and build them myself (I'd rather not but not afraid to get my hands dirty) or should I just look on the market for a silent/quiet solution (looks like there aren't many available)?

Recommendations pls

CA_Steve

Re: photoshop

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:18 am

Need more information to provide an answer that isn't pulled from a dark orifice. You might be able to use a $50 card or a $200 card.

- monitor resolution?
- occasional gaming: what games?
- what's the rest of the system? CPU, RAM, HDD... No reason to recommend a $200 card if the rest of the system is the bottleneck.

FYI, recent releases of Photoshop use the video card to accelerate display functions. It doesn't take a lot of horsepower to do this.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:36 pm

I've been told that Photoshop is not very demanding at all on the video card's speed, but more on it's quality. Photoshop is very demanding of the CPU and of RAM, if I am not mistaken.

mouettus

Post by mouettus » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:35 am

i5 2500/i7 2600
8gb of ram
SSD drive

games I play aren't really specific in genres. I can't comment on that one. But I don't really need something strong. My GTX260 presently gives me great performance but it's not silent at all and I'd like to be able to pass sound thru HDMI.

screen resolutions: 1050, 1080 and soon to be 1200

Everytime I've built a computer in the past, I've bought a pretty decent GPU (performance wise) but his time, I'd rather have something cool and quiet than something powerful. I already know photoshop isn't power hungry on the GPU but I want a quality card none the less. something that has all the features (dx11, dual monitor out, hdmi) and has a great cooling system. I would think 200$ can lead me there.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:58 am

Gigabyte makes passive HD5750 and 5770. The 5750 is a tad better than your current card. Here's a mini-review by forum member. If you want more horsepower, get the 5770.

sdpate

Post by sdpate » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:09 am

If you're running Photoshop CS5, some of the processes are accelerated using the GPU and CUDA. Even low end cards like GeForce 8800 benefit although the GTX 260 really improves things. There is a hack about this. http://njnnetwork.com/2010/12/nvidia-ca ... ngly-fast/

Cryoburner

Post by Cryoburner » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Photoshop isn't mentioned anywhere on that page. : P

The video editor "Premiere Pro" CS5 uses Nvidia's proprietary CUDA acceleration, but Photoshop CS5 does not. If you don't edit video using Premiere Pro, it shouldn't likely matter much whether you use a Radeon or a GeForce card in Photoshop. Photoshop does use standard OpenGL to accelerate certain functions using the video card, but that should work fine with graphics chips from both manufacturers. There are a few third-party Photoshop plugin filters that can use CUDA, but the vast majority of them do not. It's likely Adobe may add GPGPU acceleration to future versions of Photoshop, but they'll probably use OpenCL rather than CUDA, since it does basically the same thing while being an open standard compatible with cards from both manufacturers.