ARM Systems Still In Business?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RBudding

ARM Systems Still In Business?

Post by RBudding » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:42 pm

The ARM Systems web site is down and no one answers the phone. Are they still in business?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:13 pm

Hello:

Apparently so -- look here. :(

RBudding

Post by RBudding » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:41 pm

That's too bad. I was planning on ordering a PC from them within a month. Time to explore other options.

[email protected]

What happened?

Post by [email protected] » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:22 pm

Does anyone know WHY ARM stopped doing business? I paid good money for an extended warranty and on-site service. Does anyone know how I can get a hold of Roy or Steve? I have sent them e-mail, but have not heard back yet. I feel I am entitled to something. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

SometimesWarrior
Patron of SPCR

Post by SometimesWarrior » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Even their Folding @ Home production has dropped off a cliff.

I hope the ARM Systems guys are still available for tech support. They got many good comments on this forum because of their good service. It would really be a shame if their support suddenly disappeared.

[email protected]

What happened to ARM Systems?

Post by [email protected] » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:08 pm

Unfortunately, they are gone in every way you can imagine. Both their phone numbers just ring and ring. I have tried for over a week. Their web domain is gone, and my e-mails to Roy and Steve have been returned as undeliverable.

I just wish they would have told us what happened before they completely disappeared. I find it hard to believe that they could have gone bankrupt, but maybe their profit margins weren't good enough. They seemed to only use very high quality parts. That's something the big name manufacturers can't say. They get rich off of selling junk to uninformed consumers.

Or maybe they made so much money they just decided to retire early? =) Who knows.

I love the system I got from them in every way. Roy went to great lengths to make my computer as quiet as possible. I guess my hearing is too good (not always a good thing). It's a shame I won't be able to get another one from them should I need a replacement a few years down the road.

To Roy and Steve, if you see this, please let us know what happened. I think everyone who owns one of your systems would be very grateful.

MHP

Post by MHP » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:07 pm

This is a big loss to the marketplace. I hope it doesn't indicate the market value of quiet and quality.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:37 pm

Sadly, I think it is a sign. Most people would rather save a few bucks and buy a mediocre system that sounds like a lawnmower from (insert major manufacturer here), complete with with overseas technical support. Or they're just ignorant. :(

ky
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ky » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:11 pm

So who is left to supply quiet pre-built systems?

I'm going to plug EndPCNoise.COM... they seem to have knowledgeable and helpful staff who are more than happy to answer questions even if you aren't buying anything.

And they have a few prebuilt configurations including an SLI system released this week.

I've been in the market for a new prebuilt for a while and haven't made up my mind yet.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:06 pm

Yes, EndPCNoise was my second choice before I bought my ARM Systems unit. To be honest, one reason I went with ARM is because I thought the unit was better looking. =) Roy was also very helpful when I first called them.

If I ever need a new computer down the road, I'm definitely going to check out EndPCNoise. They seem to be rather popular among people seeking quiet PC's.

You just gotta make sure each individual part is the quietest available. ARM was really good at helping me with that. For example, Seagate Barracuda SATA 160's are a tad quieter than the equivalent Samsungs, and definitely more reliable. See if EndPCNoise is willing to substitute anything that is not listed in their standard options. Good luck!