New Dell OptiPlex GX280 BTX

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gblunts

New Dell OptiPlex GX280 BTX

Post by gblunts » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:21 am

Hi all,

Has anyone heard the new Dell OptiPlex GX280 that is built using a BTX design?

I'm wondering how quiet it is.

Thanks.

einbahnstrasse

Silent Dell

Post by einbahnstrasse » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:51 pm

This is the most quiet Dell desktop that I have owned. I have to move my ear to the panel to hear the soft whirl of the 120mm NMB fan. The final verdict won't be in till I get a video card to play games on and when summer heat makes my room as hot as a G5 heatsink.

I got the system without an optical drive because Dell usually uses loud Liteon drives. Once I add the 6600GT and DVD drive, I'm hoping it will be a sweet quiet system.

HellDiver

Post by HellDiver » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:37 am

If the case is anything like the BTX Dimension 5000, then hard-drive temperature is a major concern. I'd imagine the case is identical apart from the facia.

I had a Dimension 5000 in the workshop for a few days being upgraded before going out to site. I put in an additional 160Gb Seagate 7200.7 to go with the one that was fitted, and upgraded the RAM.

Just sitting running in the workshop for a few days the hard-drives were running too hot to touch when the case was opened. Scalding hot. I wouldn't fancy putting in warmer running drives - the Seagates are one of the cooler running drives.

The ambient temp in the workshop is 22C, with plenty of air flow around the room.

ahnj

Post by ahnj » Mon May 02, 2005 9:18 pm

The new optiplex is not as quiet as I expected. The PSU got real loud once the 6800 GT went in. Also, the 120mm Thermal module fan has an annoying whine to it. My older Optiplex GX260 was quieter. I wish there was a manaul fan speed control available.