Prebuilt Amd64 systems. HP? Anyone else?

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

wisefool
*Lifetime Patron*

Prebuilt Amd64 systems. HP? Anyone else?

Post by wisefool » Sat May 21, 2005 9:09 am

I need about 4-5 new PCs. I was thinking of building them myself but then I realize after one picks parts through newegg or whichever, cost comes to higher or equivalent to prebuilt Dells.

YUCK why dell right?

I have never purchased a machine from Dell, Gateway, etc. I have built dozens for work, myself, family, etc. However these new machines are for work and I really don't want to spend all that time building them. Noise will not be critical since ambient noise is so bloody high here.

Anyway, I'm looking for a vendor that sells AMD64 systems. HP has them but they require 30 days to build them!

Something tells me I may have to build them myself anyway.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Sat May 21, 2005 11:42 am

I have seem some AMD64 HP's machines at big box retailers like CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc. Obviously you have to accept the stock configuration. Also, I think they were socket 754 machines, but they did seem to be reasonably quiet for a pre-built (but hard to judge in a store with its ambient noise level).

Dell is Intel only. Don't recall about Gatweay. IBM sells AMD servers, but not sure if they have any AMD desktops.

If I had to buy a bunch of A64 systems for a business, I would consider a pre-built like the HP machines, and make sure I get at least 1 year support.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue May 24, 2005 3:30 am

If you have built machines before, why not do it again.

30 mins per PC, 60 mins to install the software.

Get yourself some imaging software, then you only have to install one PC, and image the rest @ 15 mins each.

I make that 4 hours 30 mins, and you just know the machines are going to be better than any pre-built PC's you can buy, after all YOU built them.

Andy

silencetowrite

Post by silencetowrite » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:05 pm