Shuttle XPC SN27P2 (AMD AM2) and Linux

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dougz

Shuttle XPC SN27P2 (AMD AM2) and Linux

Post by dougz » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:25 am

Thought this might be of interest:
Review: Shuttle XPC SN27P2 barebones desktop system

Wednesday December 13, 2006 (09:01 AM GMT)

By: Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier

A few weeks ago, I decided to start looking for a new system. After a fair amount of searching, I settled on a Shuttle XPC SN27P2 barebones system that includes the case, motherboard, and power supply. Since it's hard to find information about supported hardware under Linux, I thought I'd share my experience with the XPC. It's a tiny system that can pack a hefty punch, and it's a good system for users who want to run Linux....

After putting everything together, it was time for the moment of truth -- would all of the onboard components work with Linux? To test the system, I installed a 32-bit distro, Xandros Business Desktop 4.0, and a 64-bit distro, Ubuntu Edgy....

The system is amazingly quiet. I have the XPC on my desktop, right next to my monitor, and I can hear it, but just barely....

A great little system

Overall, the XPC is a nice little system. I wish the vendor would include a printed motherboard manual with the system, and the sound card leaves something to be desired, but it's otherwise a great alternative for folks who want a smallish Linux system with some decent horsepower....

http://enterprise.linux.com/enterprise/ ... ml?tid=121