$90 zero-footprint PC

Info & chat about quiet prebuilt, small form factor and barebones systems, people's experiences with vendors thereof, etc.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

frostedflakes

$90 zero-footprint PC

Post by frostedflakes » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:26 pm

http://www.wdlsystems.com/ebox/ebox.shtml

Zero-footprint because it screws onto the back of a VESA monitor. :D

They have a couple different mini PCs available, but I thought the eBox-2300SX looked really neat considering it's only $90+ship. Of course you'll still need a hard drive, but for a solid-state internet terminal you can probably pick up a <1GB CF for next to nothing.

I don't know how powerful the 300MHz Vortex processor is (have never even heard of it before, and Google didn't return a lot of useful info), but I'd assume it's plenty to run a stripped Linux distro such as DSL.

Anybody want to buy one and let us know how it is? :)

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:35 am

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:51 am

Here's the same thing fromDirectron......available in all sorts of configurations.

frostedflakes

Post by frostedflakes » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:59 pm

Major downside is the Directron board doesn't include case or PSU, after a PicoPSU and power brick you're probably looking at close to $150. Home-made enclosure could set you back as little as nothing (if just building a wood one out of stuff you already have) to like $25+. But if you don't want to mess around with building your own case and don't need a lot of power the eBox systems look awesome. Would be perfect for an internet terminal, although I couldn't imagine it being powerful enough for much more than that. Also I just noticed that the eBox-2300SX doesn't have sound, but the 2300 is only slightly more expensive and does have 2-channel sound.

The VIA system looks awesome for more than a basic net terminal, should have enough power for a daily use system. But it is a VIA so it'll probably be kind of expensive. :?

EDIT: Also the Directron board doesn't have onboard video? Must be intended to be used in a monitor-less system, i.e. router, file server, etc.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:47 pm

Logic Supply has the VIA system for over $1k..... :(

wsc

Post by wsc » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:50 am

Those eBox systems are cool! I can think of a lot of uses for one.. hmm...