Hard drive cooler and reservoir all in one?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

TD22057

Hard drive cooler and reservoir all in one?

Post by TD22057 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:07 am

I'm starting to plan a water cooling system and I was a little concerned about my HD temperatures. I've currently got my HD suspended in the air stream from my front intake fans. When I add my water cooling setup, I'm hoping to have just the radiator fan and the power supply fan running which might leave my HD running a little hot.

One thought I've had is to build a reservoir out of a plastic container, remove the bottom of it, and replace it with a 4" x 6" piece of 1/8" thick copper plate. I could then attach this to my suspended HD. This way I get my HD cooled and a reservoir w/o adding another water block to my system.

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts on the best way to attach a plastic box to a copper plate?

Ted

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:16 am

to attach a plastic box to a copper plate. easy you can do one of 2 things. get some epoxy and do a nice clean job OR get a roll of duck tape and strap them together.

DrCR

Post by DrCR » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:15 pm

Hey, that's a really cool ideal! (no pun intended)

My problem with such a setup is that I have more than one HD. :?

DrCR

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:05 pm

Plastic to metal junctions can be tricky (read: prone to leaks) if not done with just the right plastics and adhesives, under just the right conditions. You might be better off to try making your res out of all copper plate and/or sheet soldered together. The basic idea sounds reasonable to me however.

Gooserider

Straker

Post by Straker » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:41 am

yeah, it is a hassle, but as soon as i thought plastic and metal, i thought Danger Den, and they don't have silicone/epoxy/whatever leaking out all over the place between the plexi and the waterblock, so it should be doable as long as you're careful...

would probably still go with all metal if it was feasible though, also you'd be able to cool two drives with one metal res if they have something covering the PCB. :)

TD22057

Post by TD22057 » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:52 am

I talked w/ someone over at the pro-cooling forums who had gotten it to work using marine epoxy so that's what I'm going to try. I'm going to order parts tomorrow and I'll take some pictures when I'm finished.

My current plan is to mount the pump underneath the suspended reservoir/drive combo. I think I can make a reservoir that's a little longer than the HD and then mount a barb facing down to feed directly into the pump (assuming the pump works fine with the inlet facing up).

I really wanted to get one of those new C-Systems pumps from D-Tek but they're sold out and aren't taking pre-orders anymore.