Eheim 1048

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

moparchris

Eheim 1048

Post by moparchris » Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:32 pm

ok so im considering buying one of these once i make and finish the rest of my waterblocks

anyone had any problems and from what ive heard theyre prettymuch the most quiet pumps, that right ?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Eheim 1048

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:44 am

moparchris wrote:prettymuch the most quiet pumps, that right ?
Laing DDC is smaller, lighter, quieter, flows faster and has more head than Eheim's 1048. It runs on 12V DC via molex and has a 3-pin activity line you can plug into your mainboard to get speed report.

-Ed

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Eheim 1048

Post by pdf27 » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:02 pm

Edward Ng wrote:Laing DDC is smaller, lighter, quieter, flows faster and has more head than Eheim's 1048. It runs on 12V DC via molex and has a 3-pin activity line you can plug into your mainboard to get speed report.

-Ed
What sort of difference is there? I must have dozed off for a bit recently because that's the first comment of that sort I've seen yet :oops: [/b]

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:23 pm

Check the ProCooling forums or OCAU forums for plenty of information in regards to that.

-Ed

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:38 am

The DDC has higher head, higher flow, runs on 12VDC. It's supposed to be fairly quiet (I haven't heard one in action) and supposed to be quite reliable (Laing is famous for doing lots of accelerated testing - but note that it's too new a model to have an actual use reliability record). It's also a very small package.

The 1048 needs AC, is quiet, has a remarkable good reliability record (from actual use 1000s of units over 10s of years, not accelerated testing).

If I was building a system for someone I didn't totally trust to recognize the symptoms of a failing pump, the 1048 (or a HPPS, which is a 12V variant of the 1046) would be a no-brainer. I'd also match it with a non-flow-hungry block like the Swiftech 6000 series.

Building for myself, with a block like the Storm or the Whitewater, I'd go with the DDC.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:34 am

Yeah, I've been following ProCooling fairly closely (I'm registered there too), it's just I hadn't previously noticed that the DDC was meant to be quieter than a 1048. There was a discussion on accoustics for various pumps, but I actually got the impression from that the 1048 was still quieter.
Performance is clearly going to be higher for a DDC (particularly with a restrictive circuit), although looking at Cathar's figures when he was comparing pumps (how much enough/how much too much) the difference probably isn't to bad.
AC is not a problem as I'm going to be using AC fans and already have a relay to run them off. Actually, I've already got a 1048 but it's second hand with quite a bit of time on it already so is an obvious target for an "upgrade" sooner or later if there's a better pump out there.

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:54 pm

If you've already got a 1048, already run AC inside your case, then why not just replace the 1048 rotor (the only wear part) and have done? Note that you'd then be best off with something like a Swiftech 6000 series waterblock.
Oh - and you also might look at the Innovatek "AGB-O-Matic" push-on reservoir, that pushes right onto the inlet "nose piece" (whatever it's called) and turns the pump into a (IMHO) very neat hybrid inline/submerged setup.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:39 pm

bobkoure wrote:If you've already got a 1048, already run AC inside your case, then why not just replace the 1048 rotor (the only wear part) and have done? Note that you'd then be best off with something like a Swiftech 6000 series waterblock.
That or run it until it finally dies and get a new one. This is still a work in progress (see the "plumbing a TJ-06" thread for what I'm planning right now). There is also a possibility that I might run a pair of them in series (see Cathar's analysis over at ProCooling - 2x1048s is actually a very high performance combination).
As for the Swiftech 6000 series, I know they would almost certainly give me higher performance but I simply don't like the look of the copper ones, and there is no way I would mix metals in a loop so the aluminium ones are out. If I can't get my hands on a G4 when the next batch comes out I will probably reconsider though...
bobkoure wrote:Oh - and you also might look at the Innovatek "AGB-O-Matic" push-on reservoir, that pushes right onto the inlet "nose piece" (whatever it's called) and turns the pump into a (IMHO) very neat hybrid inline/submerged setup.
It's pretty tidy, but I'd prefer to have the res at the top and pump near the bottom of a system if possible - it would give me more confidence when filling the system, and the increased static pressure would kill all possibility of cavitation.

Oh, and had a look over at ProCooling for the DDC/1048 accoustics. No clear consensus about which is quieter, just that both are roughly the same. The pump recordings/FFTs seem to suggest that the 1048 is a bit quieter, but there are enough errors in there that the data is probably meaningless. Shame we can't get Phaestus and MikeC to work together...

moparchris

Post by moparchris » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:41 pm

hmm well id like the DDC but its a dmanwell pain in the ass for me to get, im in New Zealand and it seems theres no companys that sell them here and its a pain to buy from overseas (no way to pay for anything.. theres stuff like paypal but wait you need a credit card for that.. and i dont need one at the moment so i dont have one) but ill keep looking around.

i already have a relay in my computer at the moment for my piece of crap pump that is hardly working anymore which switches the 240v pump on when the computer is on so it being.. wait is there a 230/240v version ? there better be :?

otherwise if i cant find one ill just go for the eheim, ohh yeah the DDC has 8mm barbs dosnt it ?

moparchris

Post by moparchris » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:56 pm

well it looks like im not going to be able to get a DDC in NZ so i just ordered the eheim along with a 30gb nomad, some eheim tubing and a new mouse (my damn thing keeps moving by itself) now once i get that all i need is to finish off making my waterblocks and get a half decent radiator :wink:

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:03 pm

interesting choice with the tubing :) back about a year ago, eheim tubing was regarded as very stiff and practically useless for all but straight bits. let's hope the situation's changed!

i can vouch for the 1048's reliability, mine's been running nearly 24/7 for almost a year now and i haven't had any problems with it at all. as for noise levels, i'd say that it's a pump you have to isolate well to achieve silence, otherwise it's vibration/resonance will drive you insane :)

moparchris

Post by moparchris » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:03 pm

i got the pump today and its pretty damn quiet if its not vibrating on something :D

and the tubing.. well its all the shop had and i bought some a while back and it seems fine to me so what the hell :P

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:47 am

pdf27 wrote:Yeah, I've been following ProCooling fairly closely (I'm registered there too), it's just I hadn't previously noticed that the DDC was meant to be quieter than a 1048. There was a discussion on accoustics for various pumps, but I actually got the impression from that the 1048 was still quieter.
Performance is clearly going to be higher for a DDC (particularly with a restrictive circuit), although looking at Cathar's figures when he was comparing pumps (how much enough/how much too much) the difference probably isn't to bad.
AC is not a problem as I'm going to be using AC fans and already have a relay to run them off. Actually, I've already got a 1048 but it's second hand with quite a bit of time on it already so is an obvious target for an "upgrade" sooner or later if there's a better pump out there.
I agree, the threads Ive read dont make the DDC to be quieter than any eheim.
Running 2 1048s right now and have had no problems. Very quiet but that doesnt really mean much to anyone else =)