Suggestions for Reserator pump replacement?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

brad

Suggestions for Reserator pump replacement?

Post by brad » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:15 pm

I need to replace my extremely noisy Reserator pump. It was so nice when it was quiet.. From reading other threads it seems like the Laing DDC pump is the favourite.

Do any aussies know a source for these pumps in Australia, or failing that, can anyone recommend a good site that ships international?

One day I'll actually finish this system so I can post it in the gallery!

gitto

Post by gitto » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:06 pm

www.dangerdenstore.com should be able to help you.

I couldnt find any shops in Australia myself, using google or staticICE www.staticice.com.au

brad

Post by brad » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:16 pm

Oooo, they changed the name. No wonder my searches weren't going well. Thanks!

brad

Post by brad » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:14 am

An update..

I received my DDC pump from dangerden and installed it last night.

Was annoyed to discover that the pump switch for my reserator didn't have screws, so I nearly busted the casing trying to get it open. Then I found the wires were crimped, not screwed into terminals, so I had to cut them anyway. I had visions of using the old reserator pump to prime the ddc, but ended up wasting my time. I got fed up and just sucked on the end of the tubing to get water in the ddc.

I have the ddc sitting on a thick piece of foam. I couldn't hear it, but I haven't tried it in a quiet environment yet. It is much more powerful than the pump it replaced! I have a tube that takes the hot water to the top of the reserator. I had to put more water in the system, because the ddc was creating a fountain in the reserator. I briefly considered keeping this water feature, but it was a little too loud. :)

gitto

Post by gitto » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:26 am

Great news.

How much did it end up costing you, including shipping? Do you think the DDC is small enough to be fitted internally in the reserator? Does sitting it on foam reduce the noise from vibration like with the Eheims?

It'd be good to hear your feedback after testing the DDC in a silent environment. I find the noise of my reserator's stock pump to be deep, and inconsistent (the dreaded rattling has started...). Very quiet nontheless though.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:15 pm

gitto wrote:Great news.

How much did it end up costing you, including shipping? Do you think the DDC is small enough to be fitted internally in the reserator? ....
Can the DDC pumps be submersed? I had the impression that they couldn't.

brad

Post by brad » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:42 pm

I still haven't tested in a really quiet environment, but putting it on foam gets rid of a lot of noise. I'd say the volume was close to that of the reserator's internal pump. If you put the reserator tower on something soft (but stable!) you can get rid of the deep hum you get from putting it on a desk. I used a thick piece of foam, then put a stiff mousemat on top to spread the weight. It looked like a little knock would tip it over, so I also had guy wires to some shelving :)

Moot now, because nothing gets rid of that rattle..

The DDC would fit in the reserator, but it's not submersible.

The total cost was $180AUD, but I ordered 10' of tygon tubing as well. I think that was $30AUD worth.. and I used express shipping. Oh, I did use the tubing, it was handy for syphoning the water out of the reserator.

Tonight I'll kill all the fans and unplug the hdds and see how audible it really is.

gitto

Post by gitto » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:57 pm

Did changing to the DDC also lower temperatures?

brad

Post by brad » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:05 pm

Nope, didn't notice any change. My reserator tower isn't in a good spot for airflow, and that seems to be the bottleneck for heat in my system.

Still, it keeps my Athlon64 3400+ at 1.4v under 50degC at full load in a warm room, so it's doing pretty well. I have a 6800GT in the loop too. Both CPU and GPU are using the Zalman water blocks.

brad

Post by brad » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:46 pm

Ok, I did a quick test with the DDC running with all the fans and hdds unpowered. It's quite a bit louder than the Reserator pump was when the tower was on something soft (before it got the rattles). However it is quieter than my twin seagate 7200.7 200GB drives in elastic suspension. I wonder how much sound is absorbed by the reserator water tower.

I'm happy with the DDC, it is quiet enough for my current system. At the moment I need my storage space in this PC, and my hdds are the noisiest components. If you're lucky enough to have a very quiet hdd, and you are shooting for silence, you might need to look for another pump.

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:12 am

Has anyone tried to under-volt the DDC?

Everyone says the Reserator pump is quiet (mine too) but also pretty weak. I wonder how the DDC would sound if it was adjusted to a flow rate similar to the Zalman?

Pgh

Post by Pgh » Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:28 am

Pgh wrote:Has anyone tried to under-volt the DDC?

Everyone says the Reserator pump is quiet (mine too) but also pretty weak. I wonder how the DDC would sound if it was adjusted to a flow rate similar to the Zalman?
What I should have said - is it possible to undevolt the DDC so that it is as quiet as the Zalman pump but has greater flow, and possibly lower temperatures?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:06 pm

Pgh wrote:...is it possible to undevolt the DDC so that it is as quiet as the Zalman pump but has greater flow, and possibly lower temperatures?
HammerSandwich can help you with that.

-Ed

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:00 am

brad wrote:Ok, I did a quick test with the DDC... I wonder how much sound is absorbed by the reserator water tower.
So... you're running the DDC submerged? I'm pretty sure it's not rated for this.

brad

Post by brad » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:03 pm

No, I haven't submerged the ddc. I was wondering how much of the original pump's noise was muffled by the water surrounding it.

I don't think the ddc would last long underwater :)

bobkoure

Post by bobkoure » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:30 am

brad wrote:I don't think the ddc would last long underwater :)
I didn't either - but was prepared to be astonished/amazed/impressed at some mod you had made to make it submersible :)