My DDC just died(Now Not Working Again)

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

EntropyAJB
Patron of SPCR

My DDC just died(Now Not Working Again)

Post by EntropyAJB » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:40 am

The DDC that I got from Danger Den about 3 weeks ago just died. I had my computer off to tweak with some fans, and when I turned it back on the pump did not spin back up. I just hooked the pump up to a separate power supply and I still have been unable to get the pump to spin up. The pump feels a little on the warm side but it is not super hot. I have a couple questions:
1) Does anyone have any ideas about what may have killed the pump, how to check for it, and hopefully how to fix it?
2) I have had the pump for less than 30 days. According to Danger Den you can return products within 30days. Does this include products that have broken? What experiences do people have with returning stuff to Danger Den.
3) What pump should I get to replace it? Another DDC? Has anyone else had any problems with their DDC? I know everyone was happy with their CPS pumps until they all started breaking. I hope the DDCs aren't going to start dropping like flies.
4) Does anyone know a retailer that will ship out a pump on a Saturday?
Last edited by EntropyAJB on Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:27 pm

Is there any possibility that some debris or sediment from your heatercore (are you using a heatercore as opposed to standard PC radiator like Black Ice?) may have gotten into the pump and lodged itself in. The way the mag drive DDC is designed, any sort of sediment that gets in there could possibly jam the thing. The only real way to find out is to get a Torx driver that fits and open it up to check, but I'm unsure if that voids the warranty or not. Laing's pumps are known for being highly reliable, while C-Systems never had any track record at all before the CSP-750.

-Ed

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Re: My DDC just died

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:28 pm

EntropyAJB wrote:I hope the DDCs are going to start dropping like flies.
Do you really mean that, or are you missing, "n't," from after, "are?"

-Ed

EntropyAJB
Patron of SPCR

Re: My DDC just died

Post by EntropyAJB » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:49 pm

Edward Ng wrote:
EntropyAJB wrote:I hope the DDCs are going to start dropping like flies.
Do you really mean that, or are you missing, "n't," from after, "are?"

-Ed
Corrected, that was a typo.

EntropyAJB
Patron of SPCR

Post by EntropyAJB » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:54 pm

After waiting about 3 hours I tried the pump again and it spun up. It appears to have been a heat related issue. I had just installed sound dampening foam, and I had surrounded the pump with it. The pump didn't feel like it was getting too hot and ran for a day with no problem. It wasn't an issue until I turned the computer off. I guess the pump temperature was too great to allow it to spin up but wasn't high enough to stop it from spinning.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:04 pm

Sounds odd to me - the pump is meant to be watercooled after all...
Hang on, is the DDC a mag drive or is there a seal on the shaft?

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:12 pm

pdf, check my original reply.

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:34 am

Edward Ng wrote:pdf, check my original reply.
Oops :oops: . Serves me right for posting late at night!

EntropyAJB
Patron of SPCR

Post by EntropyAJB » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:42 am

Well, the pump is not working again. I had been turning the computer on and off again a bunch this morning to mess with stuff not related to the water cooling system, and the pump has stopped spinning up again. This time there is no way that it can be a heat related issue of my fault. The case was open, and there was no foam anywhere near the pump. The pump feels a little on the warm side, but it doesn't feel out of the ordinary. But a heat related issue is the only thing that I can think of that would cause it to completely stop working and then work perfectly again after a couple hours. This is starting to get very very annoying.