Reserator pumps

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Denorios

Reserator pumps

Post by Denorios » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:19 pm

I'm probably going to purchase a Reserator next week, but before I do, I need to clarify a few things.

1) From the point of view of limiting galvanic corrosion in the system, what difference, if any, is there between distilled and deionised water?

2) How reliable are the Eheim Compact 300 pumps used in the Reserator - how long do they last before they start getting noisy?

3) How easy is to replace a noisy pump with the exact same model.

jfweaver

Post by jfweaver » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:24 pm

I wouldnt bother paying for deionized water, it starts losing its resistivity as soon as it hits air, unless you're constantly deionizing it with DI resin. Distilled water and a corrosion inhibitor would be your best bet.

eander315

Post by eander315 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:38 pm

Just use distilled water. I think I read somewhere that deionized water isn't good for the aluminum in the long run. Make sure you use an anti-corrosive like Redline Water Wetter or that Zerex racing stuff.

If you look through this forum, you'll see a few posts about Reserator pump failures. It seems to me that they are failing somewhat frequently because people are not using anti-corrosives, but I could be wrong. In any case, it doesn't look too difficult to replace the pump with a new one. I would rather use a bigger Eheim 1048 though, as it's only a few dollars more, pumps twice as much water, and is nearly silent.

chtudor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by chtudor » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:06 pm

Just my $.02.

I just replaced my zalman block and pump with a TDX 775 and Eheim 1250 pump. Amazingly the 1250 isn't any louder then then stock pump so long as it's isolated from hard surfaces and the change bought me 5C over the stock zalman rig. I did have to modify the TDX a bit to get it to fit right on my AS8 but nothing a few minutes on the mill couldn't handle.

I also swapped in a phantom 350 today while doing the rest of the work and it's really made a huge difference, although my PWM temps just jumped about 15C, but that's a problem for another day.

CyberBlade

Post by CyberBlade » Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:35 am

chtudor wrote:I just replaced my zalman block
Why :?: I'm planning on buying a Zalman WB2 water block... Was there something wrong with it?

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:13 am

CyberBlade wrote:Why :?: I'm planning on buying a Zalman WB2 water block... Was there something wrong with it?
Nothing actually wrong with it, but it isn't a particularly high performance design. There are other blocks out there (e.g. by Swiftech or Danger Den) that will probably outperform it.

CyberBlade

Post by CyberBlade » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:54 pm

Oh ... ok :)
This is the only wb that I'm able to BUY around here. In fact I'm having a hard time getting one. (making is always an option)

pdf27
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by pdf27 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:21 pm

CyberBlade wrote:Oh ... ok :)
This is the only wb that I'm able to BUY around here. In fact I'm having a hard time getting one. (making is always an option)
Where are you?

CyberBlade

Post by CyberBlade » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:47 am

Bulgaria, Europe. Although it's not noticeable we are in Europe when it comes into variety of PC parts and accessories. Now I ordered some green UV sensetive liquid (prevents bio stuff growing and corrosion too) and ofcourse this is only being selled in the capital(Okay - courier...). And the funny thing is that they don't have any bottles left in stock and the "don't know when it's gonna be in stock BUT they think it's not going to take long". Yeah right - I've waiting for this Water Block 4 weeks now and still don't have it in my hands. All the stuff here is regular - air coolers everywhere. I'm very pissed about it.

chtudor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by chtudor » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:07 pm

CyberBlade wrote:
chtudor wrote:I just replaced my zalman block
Why :?: I'm planning on buying a Zalman WB2 water block... Was there something wrong with it?
No, I'm just cooling a LGA 775 so I was trying to drop the temps below 60C.

I also built a plexiglass tower around my Reserator and mounted a 120mm fan on top to pull air up. It needs a bit of modification because it doesn't quite fit right, but I'll make another this weekend. I'll take pics tonight or tomorrow. The tower and fan is worth 5C easy, and the nexus fan sitting up there isn't audible.