New Watercooling setup

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Russ_64

New Watercooling setup

Post by Russ_64 » Fri May 06, 2005 2:51 am

I am busy installing a water rig in my system, but as a noob in this area I am still struggling to figure out where to put all the bits. These are:
-DD TDX on A64
-PolarFlo TT on GPU and NB
-Ehiem 1048
-Black Ice Extreme 120
-DD resivior
-2xPapst 120mm intakes (1 to blow into Rad and 1 to blow over HDD's)
-80mm to blow onto Gfx RAM and HSI heatsinks
-80mm exhast fan at top
-PSU has 120mm intake and 80mm exhast
- all tubing is 1/2" DD (Clearflex).

To avoid double posting with my first post in Newbie section please see my questions here http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=21838

Any advice on setup / do's / don'ts gratefully accepted, as I am cutting my case tomorrow !

PS - was thinking of running some of the fans at 7v to reduce noise ?

eander315

Post by eander315 » Fri May 06, 2005 7:53 am

I don't see anything wrong with the design you posted. The chipset cooling is probably overkill, and may hurt your flowrate somewhat, but it's not that big a deal. Just keep in mind that it's going to take a lot longer to assemble than you might be anticipating, and to take your time and make sure you've got all the hoses clamped properly, waterblocks mounted properly, etc.

As for the fans, I would run them at full speed initially so you can determine which ones make the most noise and how loud the whole thing is. Then look at the various ways of slowing the appropriate fans enough to bring the noise level down to a level you are comfortable with (fan bus, fanmate, zenner diodes, resistors, 7V trick, etc).

You can always change things later if you find you've made a design mistake.