PolarFLO HDD46 Copper Dual Hard Drive Liquid Heat Sink

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

gmyx

PolarFLO HDD46 Copper Dual Hard Drive Liquid Heat Sink

Post by gmyx » Wed May 10, 2006 4:36 am

Anyone have any experience with this Dual-HD water block?
http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-blc-243.html

Or any other Dual-HD water block for that matter. It's for use with a Resorator based system.

Thank you.

clocker

Post by clocker » Sun May 28, 2006 9:24 am

In my experience NO HDD watercooling block is worth a tinker's damn.

Common theory holds that the heat from a drive migrates to the casing's side and transfers to the case structure.
If so (and I don't believe it anyway) then it's a pretty poor interface.
Most HDD housings are not remotely flat and most case's HDD cage only contacts the drive at the point where the screws enter.
This doesn't even cover "tooless" cases where there is no contact between the drive and the case itself.

Some (admittedly non-scientific) playing around with a laser thermometer and a running drive showed that the hottest parts of the drive are right around the spindle/motor housing and various components on the PCB.
Neither area is addressed by the "side-mount" waterblocks.

I breifly ran a DangerDen AquaDrive and saw no change in drive temps nor did it effectively mute the drive's noise.

Were watercooling implemented from a HDD's design phase- i.e. waterchannels incorporated into the casting itself- at least the motor/spindle heat could be dealt with but that would still leave the electronics uncooled.

At this point I think that the simplest cooling method- the fan- is still the only effective way to go.