first setup

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sloesoft

first setup

Post by sloesoft » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:08 pm

Hi
Ive just ordered the parts for my new pc, and my old zalman heatsinks and fans arn't going to fit, so decided to go to watercooling.

Looking for some advice on what setup to get to cool a lga p4 3.2 and an x600xt gpu.
The most important thing to me is that it is compleatly silent. Not really interested in overclocking, only need stable temperatures.

Are the CPS750 pumps worth waiting for, or will the eheim 1048 do the job?
Is there much difference between the block manufactures unless you are trying to go v low temperatures for overclocking? and which blocks would be best for my system?

Any help appreciated on what bits to go for and also how to set it up correctly. I really dont have a clue

Thanks
Dan

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:52 pm

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewforum.php?f=21 You will find it listed twice. Read them and you will know everything we know.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:06 pm

I think the answer to the pump question should be left to ed.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:50 pm

You're going to have a hard time finding a 775 waterblock.

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:59 pm

I like the long established reputation of the Ehiem pumps. The 750's look neat, but they are a new product that hasn't really developed a proven track record for reliability. I also have concerns about their use of an Al pump body, as opposed to plastic like most everybody else.

Blocks are probably not a big issue for you if you aren't overclocking, but you shouldn't cheap out either - I'd go for any of the 'top tier' blocks listed on a serious cooling site (I like ProCooling.com, avoid bling bling sites that don't do serious testing...)

Probably the biggest factor is what you use for a rad, you need the biggest rad you can mount in your setup, preferably a single pass heater core (like the FedCo 2-342) with a well set up duct system pulling air through the rad via large fans. The more surface you have for cooling, the more you can crank those fans down for silence. If you don't mind loosing portability, you might even consider using one of the many different options for external mount passive setups. (Note, however that you probably will still need some level of airflow in the case to cool those parts which are NOT cooled by the WC setup.

Gooserider

araaran

Post by araaran » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:57 am

As gooserider said, if portability is not a problem look at the Innovatek Passive radiator. I have one of these bolted to the side of a Lian-li PC61 aluminium case. I have no case fans at all, just a 120mm fan in a QTechnology power supply. This setup is near-as-dammit silent and case temps are rarely above 30C. Ive got a backup case fan on a temp trigger via a DigiDoc5 but I don need to use it.

Its just the thing about portability. My case weighs a TON, and the radiator fins are spiky (but indestructable.)

For my next system I intend to wall-mount two passives which should give me enough capacity to cool a bus engine :-)