Eheim Mod. ?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Eheim Mod. ?

Post by peteamer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:53 am

Gentlepeople... I have just ... adjusted/modified/brutalised ... :roll: my 1048 Eheim.

I basically 'gasflowed' it and thought I'd share the very 'not' scientific findings.

Whilst looking at it and pondering, I decided it was probably very restricted in the 'inlet' to the pump department.

So I modified mine to see what would happen.

So mine now looks like this.....

Might not look that much different but it now fills a 3.5Ltr container in 22-23 secs as apposed to 27-28 secs, which is a fair flow improvment. How this translates to a 'living' system I don't know but I thought I'd share what I'd found.

Regards

Pete

TheDarkHacker

Post by TheDarkHacker » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:00 pm

i wonder if there is going to be a flow increase once you put some resistance on it. looks good though

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:44 pm

Got no idea on that on yet... just figured, any flow restriction reduction has got to be a plus. :?

Owing to slight lack of Water block, :roll: I'm unable to test in a proper system ... however ... as an engineer/tinkerer I can't help but think the better the pump works ...

If anyone is willing to try it in their system ... :D

I will try it in mine (when done) but it will a bit late for before/after tests as you can imagine :roll:

Pete

Bat

Post by Bat » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:30 pm

A pity you didn't measure the maximum head before and after as well. I'm wondering if it might have been reduced.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:49 am

Jeez ... don't remember it saying anything about intellimathingy or having to use your brain on the application form (is it tax deductable ? )... :lol:

Seriously though, I will dig out my bits this afternoon and get a head reading. If I can find a realistically priced source of Eheim parts I will order up what I have butchered to give a reference point for stock, with my motor/impeller, and this time I will hold off on the impeller modding for improving pressure till I've got some more data.

Is it safe to assume that the head reading is done from the impeller centre line?

If anybody is interested?

Pete

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:11 am

Update is ... currently 170cm/1.7M head.

I realise this is mute considering I don't know the original head but ...

Well if the spec (150cm/1,5M) is reasonably accurate then I got a ~13% increase in head... along with an even better increase for flow...

Not saying anything, not scientific ... but interesting.

Will be modding the impeller when I get a chance (... allowed :wink: ) and will get back.

Any other thoughts Et C. welcome....

Pete

Bat

Post by Bat » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:59 am

That's good to know! It makes me wonder why it wasn't made that way in the first place, though. They must have made that choice for some reason.

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:30 pm

I would imagine it was/is that way cause, at that stage of the design it did what was needed. If you want bigger buy the 1250.

If you make the 1048 better, you would have to make the 1250 better as well, to give a reason to buy it. Also what I have done is remove a fair bit of ... over engineering, OK for us and our silph like gentle hands :roll: ... but in the hands of a 'fishy' ? :lol: .
I suspect I may also have made it a tad noisier but have to say it's very subjective and I'm not entirely sure.

I have sourced a replacement end housing..., £8:60 at a watercooling store or £3:01 incl TAX at Aquatics Online, and will get round to ordering one soon, any help on the decision on which one to order from would be appreciated.....

What's of even more interest is the difference in size of the impeller compared to the housing, this weekend I intend to increase the size of the 'blades' to see what happens, I'm anticipating better flow and more head, which is obviously desirable ( ... :shock: ) .

Will advise of any progress or otherwise.

Pete (Mr Mid #70's ) Amer 8)