Need advice for a quiet setup that can cool a 4GHz+ Prescott

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ender17

Need advice for a quiet setup that can cool a 4GHz+ Prescott

Post by Ender17 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:02 pm

I need advice on a WCing setup for my upcoming system which will consist of the following:

Lian Li PC-7 Plus
PCP&C 510W PCI-E
DFI 875P-T
P4 560 (maybe a 6xx later)
BFG 6800 Ultra w/ NV Silencer 5
Audigy ZS
NEC-3500
AOpen DVD-ROM
Sunbeam Rheobus
My trusty Raptor
LSI MegaRAID SATA 4-150
4 x WD2500JD Drives

I'm going to have a 120mm intake fan in the blowhole position to provide cold air for my PSU, so about the only option for a radiator is on the 120mm exhaust fan. If absolutely necessary, I may be able to fit a second rad in between the 120mm blowhole/intake fan and the front of the case, but hopefully I can get by with just one, because using a 2nd one would raise costs quite a bit.

Right now I'm thinking something along these lines:

DD TDX 775 block
DD12V-D4 pump (can undervolt with rheobus if too loud)
120mm BIPro with a Yate Loom fan on each side in push/pull config

What I want is something that can provide really good cooling for when I am benching or gaming and the system is under heavy load, but something that I can turn down to a quieter level at night when my system is idle or just downloading.

Thanks.

Blackeagle

Post by Blackeagle » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:12 pm

I'm afraid that with 5 drives, one of which is a Raptor...PCP&C Turbo 510 PSU.... this isn't going to be "quiet".

I'd suggest a single Delta tri blade low speed fan for the rad & place the rad in front of the case at/on the intake for cooler air. And have the Delta set up on a shroud to pull air in through the rad, lower noise that way.

A rad on the exhaust is going to be a good deal less effective due to the much warmer air it will be getting.

The D4 is a pump more for overclockers than quiet. MCP350 would be a good deal lower noise. 50Z at www.cooltechnica.com would also be a improvement over that D4, but not nearly as quiet as the MCP350. The 50Z will however allow you a bit greater pressure & performance than the D4.

This would be better, but there are those here who may be able to offer better yet solutions.

DryFire

Post by DryFire » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:01 pm

Blackeagle wrote:I'd suggest a single Delta tri blade low speed fan.
delta makes a quiet anything?

anyway i'll second the mcp-350 over teh d4.