Undervolting the Danger Den DDC-12V?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Uberapan

Undervolting the Danger Den DDC-12V?

Post by Uberapan » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:15 am

I am getting the Danger Den DDC-12V pump to replace my Reserator rattling pump of Dhoom. It draws power from a regular Molex connector. It says on their webpage it can work on voltages down to 6V for more quiet operation.

How can I lower the voltage? Since it's not a fan connector the Zalman fanmate won't work. If possible, I'd like a solution that I can set voltages in very small increments, like the fanmates.

It's this pump: http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.p ... t=4&page=1

Does anyone know if the included tubing from Zalman will work with this pump? According to the SPCR review it's not the same tubing size, but I read somewhere that the reserator's silicon tubing will stretch to fit the 3/8 connectors on this pump.

Also, is this exactly the same pump as this one from Swifttech? It sure looks like the same one:

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcp350.asp

phextwin

Post by phextwin » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:07 am

They are both the same pump ie the Laing/Delphi DDC. The only difference between them is the swifttech one doesn't have rpm monitoring, as they report it incorrectly or something like that (reports too often i beleive). So they left it off to avoid confusion. (when you see it spinning at 10000rpm ;))

Fake edit:
RPM sensor plugs to 3 pin motherboard fan connectors and reports impeller rotational speed (effective 1-24-05)
As for your voltage lowering, a fairly highpowered fan rheobus (a sunbeam one for instance) will handle it. The pump is rated for 8.3W.

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:21 am

Dont have a MCP650 but ive seen some others ask the same question over at ocforums and a lot of people say undervolting the pump doesnt get rid of the rattle. Might want to just look into a new pump, ebay that thing, dumps too much heat into the loop anyways.

dukeman

Post by dukeman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:44 am

i just bought the Danger Den DDC-12V last week and have installed it in my system.

this pump is almost silent, there is no need to undervolt it. it replaced my swiftech 650 which was pretty quiet but this pump blows it away. with the side of the case on i can not hear it over my fan that is running at 7v.

i highly recommend this pump to all.

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?i=1 ... 010169.JPG

http://www.photojunkyard.com/is.php?i=1 ... 010173.JPG

jamesavery22

Post by jamesavery22 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:28 am

why the heck did I think he was talking about a mcp650? Sorry about that

eander315

Post by eander315 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:22 am

The Zalman blue tubing will stretch over the DDC barbs with very little effort. Make sure you buy a couple of small hose clamps to hold the hose once it's installed. Don't forget to prime the pump before starting it.

FWIW, i agree entirely with dukeman. This pump barely vibrates and makes almost no sound. I have mine encased in inch-thick high-density foam, which I now consider to be complete overkill (I built the radiator box before I heard the pump).

I also have a tube attached to the incoming water fitting inside the Reserator, and since installing the DDC, it makes a tinkling water sound because the pump is moving so much more water than the little Eheim. If you have a tube installed like that, make sure you cut about 6-8 inches off the top to avoid that water noise (it's actually pretty pleasant sounding).

snutten

Post by snutten » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:30 am

Mine stopped under 8V. Still noisy. At 12V it screams. (Everything compared to the 4412s at 3.3V.)