Best pump and radiator

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cotdt

Wow!

Post by cotdt » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:45 pm

DougG wrote:I understand reading on Pro Forum, c-systems has an even quiter pump coming out, if that is possible.

There is a thread by one of the engineers about a 100000 hour pump.
That is absolutely amazing! If new version of MAG is indeed much quieter than even the current version.... just wow! That'll be basically inaudible even without muffling! I'm excited now! Now I think watercooling can become the future of dead silent performance computing, since it's basically heatpipes on steriods with all parts off-the-shelf. Just use a passsive radiator like the Konvect-o-Matic (80W version and 125W version) or make your own for much cheaper, with Muffled 2.5" WD Scorpio HD, and you've got yourself a dead silent rig! I can now imagine a rig similar to the recently reviewed Puget Sound system (<18 dB if I remember correctly), but even more dead silent, much cheaper, and all parts off the shelf! We just have to wait a little while I guess.

It's great that SPCR has a niche devoted to watercooling. I expect it to get bigger in the future because this I think is where it's headed for silent computing. I've tried a lot of totally fanless yet practical techniques, like heatpiping to a massive heatsink and even spinning heatsinks around a motor, but IMHO watercooling is the easiest to set up and most effective. Cheap if you DIY, yet if you don't have the skills/time you can just buy the parts which are widely available.

fierce_freak

Post by fierce_freak » Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:49 pm

ok, i know it's been a long time...after spending more time with the mcp655, i'm disappointed. It DID start out quiet...but after about the first month a small touch of whine and some deeper noise has made itself known. ;( I'm going to sell it, but not here. No one's going to want it, lol

i will say the system's done an amazing job, though...it's summer and there is no a/c where I live. My apartment's been over 80 degrees F at times, and my overclocked cpu hasn't really even gone over 115 (at least at times i've monitored it).

DougG

Post by DougG » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:57 am

"It DID start out quiet...but after about the first month a small touch of whine and some deeper noise has made itself known"

I told you :(

No one believes me at this other forum as well, they all say I am full of it and the D5 is quite

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/index.php?

I knew from what I read at Danger Den site, we did not have the only noisy D5 nor the only quite MAG.

-MCP655 is DD d5 right?

cotdt

Post by cotdt » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:25 am

Yeah MCP655 is the same as the D5 and it is NOT QUIET AT ALL! The 1046 and CSP-MAG really blow it away it's not even comparable. Who needs insane flow rates when today's best waterblocks are designed for low-flow?

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:22 pm

Today's top blocks are the Storm G5, the Storm G4 and the Nexxos. All of them perform best with high-pressure. Add a gpu block and high-pressure high-flow becomes important. While the majority here are more interested in silence than performance, in the water-cooling world high-pressure pumps are regarded as desireable.

DougG

Post by DougG » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:03 pm

"All of them perform best with high-pressure"

According to the developer of the G5 on proforums, the difference between the best and worse pump using a G5 will only be 1C!

You will be within 0.5C in a MAG vs D5 set up.

For that little difference I will do without the noise :D

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:12 pm

HaloJones wrote:Today's top blocks are the Storm G5, the Storm G4 and the Nexxos. All of them perform best with high-pressure. Add a gpu block and high-pressure high-flow becomes important. While the majority here are more interested in silence than performance, in the water-cooling world high-pressure pumps are regarded as desireable.
would zalman resevator w/ external 1048 eheiem consider high pressure, if not can you give an e.g. of high pressure?

scorp

Post by scorp » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:15 am

Happy Hopping wrote:
HaloJones wrote:Today's top blocks are the Storm G5, the Storm G4 and the Nexxos. All of them perform best with high-pressure. Add a gpu block and high-pressure high-flow becomes important. While the majority here are more interested in silence than performance, in the water-cooling world high-pressure pumps are regarded as desireable.
would zalman resevator w/ external 1048 eheiem consider high pressure, if not can you give an e.g. of high pressure?
The pressure will be affected by the length/ID of the tubing, by the blocks you are using and by the radatiors you are using. One of the best high pressure pump (for 12V) is the Swiftech 655 / Danger Den D5. An 1048 doesn't offer a high pressure. But as DougG said, the Swiftech Storm (a slightly enhanced version of the Storm G4) and the G5 will perform very well even at low flow rates. You can check a block / flow comparison at http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php. The test were done with an AXP. Do not expect to get exactly those results if you buy one of the blocks, but the graph is a rather good way of comparing the block performance.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:28 pm

Thanks. I heard a lot of good things about the G5. Now, all I need is a graph similar to the above for GPU.

For whatever reasons, Pro cooling is not big into GPU and I can't find any major forum that is big in GPU water cooling, would you by chance heard of any good forum on that?

scorp

Post by scorp » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:36 am

Happy Hopping wrote:Thanks. I heard a lot of good things about the G5. Now, all I need is a graph similar to the above for GPU.

For whatever reasons, Pro cooling is not big into GPU and I can't find any major forum that is big in GPU water cooling, would you by chance heard of any good forum on that?
You can also check http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/wbsum.asp. They have CPU and GPU WB info. Recently 2 new GPU blocks came out : the Swiftech MCW55 and an Aquaextreme model. I own a custom made GPU WB (the design is similar to the Asetek Antarctica CPU WB) and the DD MAZE4 Acetal. The DD performs better and seems to have a much lower pressure drop (the custom one also has 90 degrees inlet and outlet). Chose the MAZE4 Acetal or Brass or the Swiftech MCW55. You can't go wrong with them. You should definitely avoid WBs that coll the memory as well (as the DD NV68 / NV78) as they are more restrictive and the memory can be easily cooled down by quality passive HSes.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:11 am

THanks, I'll check it out.

DougG

Post by DougG » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:10 pm

"Pro cooling is not big into GPU"

Well that is just stupid.... sorry but it is.

CPU and GPU are the same thing, in fact with most games nowadays your GPU is worked harder then your CPU.

From what I read on other forums, GPU is easy too overclock and performs very well with WCing.

scorp

Post by scorp » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:48 pm

DougG wrote:"Pro cooling is not big into GPU"

Well that is just stupid.... sorry but it is.

CPU and GPU are the same thing, in fact with most games nowadays your GPU is worked harder then your CPU.

From what I read on other forums, GPU is easy too overclock and performs very well with WCing.
Not sure if you understood what he ment ... than again maybe I missunderstood him :?: I thought that he ment that on procooling.com you won't find comparative graphs for GPU WB performance.

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:59 am

DougG wrote:"All of them perform best with high-pressure"

According to the developer of the G5 on proforums, the difference between the best and worse pump using a G5 will only be 1C!

You will be within 0.5C in a MAG vs D5 set up.

For that little difference I will do without the noise :D
I don't disagree with you but I was correcting an earlier post that claimed that the best blocks are designed for low-flow systems. They're not.

Mastakilla

Post by Mastakilla » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:40 am

hmzz

interesting read about the MCP655 or D5 pump dewds

actually i was allmost going to buy me one...

first i wanted to buy the CSP-MAG pump too,
but then Marci (thermochill dewd) told me that they are getting alot more broken CSP pumps back in there shop, and hardly get any D5 pumps back

the CSP-750 was even worse in return rate, but from the CSP-MAG pump they got at least 1 out of 10 pumps back (broken!)

this really scared me of

so i started lookin around for info about the D5 pump, and most people comment pretty positive on it

till i read this thread offcourse

now i know that the people here are a lil obsessed with silence (more then me at least)
but i still appreciate silence ALOT

and if there is one thing i hate, then it is unreliable fans or pumps that are silent when u first buy em, and become loud after a few months (this points to bad quality according to me, even if they dont go REALLY broke)

so needless to say, that this thread scared me ALOT... :(

i was soooo happy that i finally got a good config to buy in my mind... and now this...

so i would like to know:
did they really become that much louder?
or is the "louder" that u are talking about, louder according to "silentpcreview norms" ;) and actually still quite silent?

the first pump i had in mind was an eheim 1048 which supposed to be very silent and be very reliable too
but then i heart it causes mayor interfearence with nearby monitors and speakers, and i also read its pressure is VERY depressive :(

then the CSP-MAG came up in my mind, wich supposed to be really silent too, and have a reasonable pressure...
but then i heart about its above average return rate :( (im prolly gonna order from UK, and im from BE, so i wanne avoid returning broken goods)

then the D5 came up in mind, still reasonably silent (adaptable), more then powerfull enough
but then i read this thread... :(

plzzzzz help me out dewds
im tired of looking for the ultimate pump which doesnt seem to exist :(

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:45 am

I have a 1250 and it causes no interference whatsoever. Maybe the UK's 240v is the difference but I've never seen any reports of 1048s causing monitor/tv interference.

Mastakilla

Post by Mastakilla » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:40 am

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... hp?t=78123

i started a poll about this issue over here since lots of people over there have the D5 pump...

Marci

Post by Marci » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:22 am

Eheim 1046 and 1048 are unshielded. If you stick em in the vicinity of a CRT here in the UK, then the screen becomes almost unuseable. Pulses along with the pump. 1250 is shielded and doesn't exhibit this problem. Unless they've shielded the 1048 at somepoint over the past 2 years without announcing it... I haven't used one since working with Innovatek gear.