Quiet Water Cooling Concept

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

warriorpoet

Quiet Water Cooling Concept

Post by warriorpoet » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:37 pm

I'm starting this thread as an outgrowth of my earlier one: "Talk Me Out of It", as that has run its course further down a rabbit trail than is prudent.

The Idea

The concept is to use the 2x exhaust fan locations at the rear of the case to produce enough negative pressure to pull cool air (dark blue) through two 1x 120mm sized radiators located at the front and rear of the case (light blue) and exhaust hot air out, both through a radiator and through the blowhole at the top of the case (red).

My questions:
1. Will this concept work with 2x 5v Yate Loons?
2. Can the results be superior in noise/cooling performance to air?
3. What is the best combination of componantry to pull this off reasonably?

I am considering the switch to water cooling for my newer, hotter, system. Space is at a premium, so external radiators are out. Also, I tend to overclock every component of my system :) , so lower temps are appreciated, then again, my ears appreciate quiet as well.

Proposed spec:
Mobo: ABit AN8 Ultra
CPU: Opteron 170
VGA: 7800GTX/x1800xt
Case: P180
PSU: Antec Neo HE500

Parts needed:
Pump, Reservoir: (considering Swiftech MCRES-1000)
CPU Waterblock: (considering DD TDX, Swiftech Apogee)
VGA Waterblock: (considering DD Maze4, Swiftech MCW55)
Chipset waterblock: do I need this? (considering DD Maze4)
2x single 120mm Radiators: (Considering Swiftech MCR120 QP, Thermochill 160)

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:11 am

If the Thermochill 160 is the PA160 then it is designed for low airflow fans but the Swiftech 120 isn't and I really doubt that a 5v YateLoon can pull enough air through to provide enough cooling for a dual-core cpu and a 7800. If you're prepared for the consequences of failure, I'd say give it a go and report back but if this absolutely must work, I would advise against as I really do not believe you will get enough air-flow through the rads to keep the processors cool.

Oh, and if you're not overclocking, forget about the chipset block as you won't need that level of cooling and they just increase the overall restriction and flow flow. get a Zalman passive nb cooler.

tjpark1111

Post by tjpark1111 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:44 am

you really don't have to go this route at all. What I would suggest is you purchasing a Zalman Reserator 1 Plus, and if you have the room, put it behind your computer, where the exhaust fans are blowing air out. Notice I didn't say HOT air, because once the watercooling system is cooling the cpu,gpu, and the northbridge(optional), there won't be much heat to exhaust except for hdd and the heat of the psu. Therefore, the 2 120mm fans in the back exhausting air, even at 5v, should be enough to keep everything cool. It is better to do it that way`because it is near guaranteed that it'll be enough cooling, it's easier, and it'll look much nicer for your case I think. Just make sure the reserator is behind the case(in the back), or somewhere where there's airflow. You might want to replace the pump in it if you find it too weak because you have a large case or it has to be far away from it. In the summer, you put it near an open window, and it'll probably perform even better than a fan-cooled WC system. Good luck.

bobo5195

Post by bobo5195 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:29 pm

have a look at the bill A graphs, a pa160 performs between a 120 and 240.

A few little random thoughts:
This setup will work but its all about how temps you are going to get.
pa160 is the arguably the best silent rad.
there are a few modelers of flow in loops out there that should be able to tell you roughly what you will get.
two rads will not give you twice the performance, maybe 50% at a punt, there are numbers to be punched to work this out.
Removing your heat spreader will lower your temps and improve OC. Expect oc improvement in the range of 0-300mhz depending on how good your heat spreader is.

bobo5195

Post by bobo5195 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:30 pm

thought this might be of interest, comparing rads on a more highend setup

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=12293