Watercool the case?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

McBanjo

Watercool the case?

Post by McBanjo » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:25 am

Purely a theoretical idea

I assume it would be possibly to replace the case-sides with some thin and flat watertanks and have the water cirkulate in there but would it be any good?
Might lower the system temps a bit. Might be completly useless :-P

Anyone thought of this?

HaloJones

Post by HaloJones » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:00 am

There is a reservoir/case window available although that's not quite what you mean. It doesn't add any cooling capabilities other than bling.

Cooling the case is an exceptionally inefficient way of cooling the interior compared to simply water-cooling the heat producers - cpu & gpu.

snutten

Post by snutten » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:54 am

This has been tried since long. Still running!

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:34 am

snutten wrote:This has been tried since long. Still running!
i think what this guy has done is to turn the outside of his case to act as a radiator to cool the water down before its returned to the cpu/gpu/nb etc

i think what the poster is suggesting is to keep the inside of the case cool by cooling the outside panels of the case.

the first method is like taking some heatpipes from your cpu/gpu etc and connecting them to the outside panels. kinda like the zalman case does. except with water.

i dont think you would get much benifit from just keeping your case cool. alot of the cooling would just radiate off the case into the room its in, instead of cooling the components inside the case.

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:40 am

Ofcourse I meant to have gpu and cpu cooled like normal. Forgot to add that I guess.
Kind of a whatercooled casefan ;-)
I was thinking of the system in general, like the whole computer. Snuttens system looks like it (I think). Seems to be basicly the same idea.

Seems like it works then. Always nice to have your ideas confirmed.
Thanks for the input all, sorry for not being cleer enought

Any spell-error are free of charge today. 4½ hour of sleep does funny things to the brain ;-)