SLI-lence! Reserator requires mods for Sli?

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

The Cadillac Man

SLI-lence! Reserator requires mods for Sli?

Post by The Cadillac Man » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:45 pm

Well, I've just built an okay little system that will be in my living room and function as a gaming/dvd/htpc setup. it's an AMD 4200x2 with 2x hds and 2x bfg 7900gt oc SLI on an asus a8n32 board with the heatpipe. Anyways, it sounds like a caffeinated hive of wasps even at idle. I can hear it one room away with the door closed. Silence is my goal, and I love the look and idea of the reserator 1+, but I doubt it's efficient enough to run with the SLI setup. I'll not be overclocking (the stock BFG cards are the oc'ed ones but that's all) but there will be moments of semi-intense gaming and the occasional 3d render so it has to be stable.

I'm thinking I'll try a reserator 1+, skip the chipset cooling (heatpipe already) and add an high volume inline pump instead of the internal one. A high volume internal, perhaps? I saw mention of a mod to move the outlet to the top of the chamber, maybe do that instead/in conjuction...

Anyone have any experience with SLI/Reserator setups or amazing mods to share? Or, if I'm being too hopeful, a suggestion for an effective quiet SLI capable setup that costs about the same or less than res and doesn't look too gaudy.

Thanks!

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:39 am

here are my thoughts:

i have a 4200 dual core with a x1900 allinwonder. it runs cooler than a x1900 XT by like 8-10 watts. (degree differences mean little as every setupand situation is different)

now a nvidia card uses less wattage than a x1900xt on load.
ok, now my setup runs COOLER than it did with a 9800 allinwonder pro card in this same rig. 2-3 degrees cooler, but then again, as I say, the amount cant be figured upon, but the relative heat is something to show.

CPU gets to 45 degrees on load, idles at 38. board might be off in its numbers, all boards are, so lets just look at the temp swings. Now, the reserator tower remains just warm under load, it never gets very warm.

here's my educated guess and suggestions:

Buy the NEW gpu waterblock. It causes more turbulence and pulls off more heat faster than the old one.

Use the OLD CPU waterblock. it is shown to outperform the new one, it's much heavier, like 2x the weight.

Skip the northbridge and just put 2 120 nexus' on full blast in the system, front and rear.

Go fanless psu, dont water cool it. Just adding heat to the cooling system without a need. phantom 500 is neat, i dont know much about the non phantom series.

I am fairly certain that nvidia can be handled without a modified reserator.

Last tip: Use poland spring steam distilled water and around 8% water wetter. I have 1000's of posts debating water wetter. I disagree with all of them. Even the smell isnt that bad. It has lubricated and kept my reserator silent for a year and a half solid running on a gaming system. Purer you have your water, closer to 100% you get (mines like 93%), the more you wont need a super pump to increase heat acquisition rate.

jellybeard999

Post by jellybeard999 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:55 am

why go resorator ?

Thermochill 120.2 PA radiator
DDC pump with Alphacool top
Maze4 GPU
whatever CPU block

Nexus/Yate Loon fans on the radiator...

much better performance, and silent 8)

nici

Post by nici » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:20 pm

Might sound a bit daft, but you could get a good cooler for the CPU and watercool juut the GPUs.. A CPU isnt that hard to cool silently with air-cooling, two GPU are.

~El~Jefe~
Friend of SPCR

Post by ~El~Jefe~ » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:58 pm

an excellent idea!!

i would reserator with the two new gpu coolers on the cards and put a xp-120 on the cpu with a nexus. inaudible is as good as it gets, and this would make for a very cool running system. then, the gpu's could be x1900 XTX's playing some retarded ugly looking game like fear (not joking btw) and be very close to silence.