pump and rad question!

The alternative to direct air cooling

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

n00btard

pump and rad question!

Post by n00btard » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:19 pm

Yes, I already have a watercooling system... which is not up and running yet. (Anyone wanna donate a T-line, fillport, clamps and a bottle of MCT-5?)

However, it's based on a crappy BIP I got for $5, which will probably keel over and die the moment I try to add a GPU block to the loop. And I have an MCP600, which isn't supposed to be that quiet...

RAD: So... I figured I can either get a heatercore, or an HE120 (cheaper than PA120).

both need fans with high hydrostatic pressure, but I'm not sure whether they require high airflow. Can I slap on a shroud to either rad, stick a Panaflo Low-Speed 120x38 (L1A?) and 5V it and still have reasonable temps, or should I go with an M1A and 5V that? (or 7V?)

PUMP: Which is quieter, an Eheim 1048 or a Laing DDC? (and yes, I'm willing to deal with the increased hassle of setting up a relay for the fomer.) what about vibration, and noise characteristics? Blocks I'm planning to upgrade to are Watercool Heatkiller CPU Rev. 2.6 and a Watercool GPU-X 7800/7900.

thanks in advance

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: pump and rad question!

Post by HammerSandwich » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:10 pm

n00btard wrote:(Anyone wanna donate a T-line, fillport, clamps and a bottle of MCT-5?)
What size tubing will you use? Might have something I can spare.
n00btard wrote:both need fans with high hydrostatic pressure, but I'm not sure whether they require high airflow.
You might be surprised. Remember that resistance drops tremendously with less airflow, and quiet systems have less trouble here than most people expect. In addition, HCs tend to have 12-14FPI, which compares favorably to BI rads. The Thermochill PA series is a different story, but so are the prices. If you can run a HC with big frontal area, you'll do fine with a normal quiet 120.
n00btard wrote:PUMP: Which is quieter, an Eheim 1048 or a Laing DDC?
The Eheim's probably better, though a given DDC's noise seems to be an issue of luck.

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:25 pm

1/2" tubing (live in Canada, might be a problem)
might go with HE120... dunno. might go with HC instead, not too sure...

...so I'm good to go with a Panaflo L1A at 5V on either rads?

(sorry if I'm being a little thick here, I ask questions multiple times until I'm perfectly clear on what's being said)

rhuebner

Post by rhuebner » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:07 am

If you were trying to dump a large amount of heat (TEC, etc.), you'd need a large amount of airflow to do it, and as Hammer pointed out, resistance raises with airflow, so you'd need a lot of fan power to pull that much air through.

But dumping a low to normal amount of heat isn't very hard, and doesn't take much airflow, so it doesn't have to be fast and so won't have so much resistance. The higher fin density of a non-PA should help balance out for the higher resistance it has. A quiet 120 (or 2) should be fine. Be sure and use a shroud, to force the air to come through the rad, and to eliminate the fan hub's dead spot.

As for the pump, I've got an 8-10W DDC, hanging suspended from my DIY res by its own tubing, and can't hear it at all right now (1AM, a couple feet away, external loop). Very little vibration. completely damped by the tubing. But you must buy an aftermarket top for it, it makes a huge difference (either Alphacool's or Petra's new one). Use the center inlet of the top for better performance. No personal experience with 1048s.

n00btard

Post by n00btard » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:47 am

Many thanks for the useful replies! If I asked the same questions on another forum ([H]ardForum), I'd be greeted with a multitude of "USE A PA INSTEAD ROFL U NOOB" and "USE A [expletive] DDC BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT ALL THE COOL PEOPLE ARE USING."

Kinda shows how much more mature the silence-seeking crowd is than the "overclocking for t3h win" crowd now, doesn't it :D

HE w/ Panaflo L1A it is, want to wait for a direct comparison between DDC and 1048 before switching from a MCP600.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by HammerSandwich » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:25 pm

n00btard wrote:HE w/ Panaflo L1A it is...
I'm not that [H], but I'd urge you to go for the PA with SPCR-approved fans instead. The price difference between the HE and PA is small at best; if it matters that much, get a Coolingworks, Swiftech or heatercore. The L1A fell by the wayside a few years ago. Lots of better options have been discussed here.