Thanks to all of you who make SPCR possible

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

GUNNER

Thanks to all of you who make SPCR possible

Post by GUNNER » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:48 pm

I just placed my orders for parts to build my first new PC in over 8 years. The old one is a PII-233 that sounds as loud as my lawn-mower (though, in the defence of my actual lawn-mower, it's very quiet for a lawn-mower) that I can hear from down the hall when the TV and radio are off in the house.

I started with a list of parts to build my machine and started looking for reviews, articles, etc concerning them for validation. Eventually, that led me here. And then I was hooked....

Since then, I think almost every component on my original list has changed!

Thanks to everyone that has written reviews, articles, commented in the forums, and to MikeC and all the staff members for making this site possible!

Now, I just have to wait and see if the components I've ordered make a machine as quiet as I'm hoping for. If not, it's my fault, and I get to tinker with it. (My fear is that it will be quiet but I'll still become obsessed about trying to make it even more quiet, past the point of rational behavior....)

Tobias

Re: Thanks to all of you who make SPCR possible

Post by Tobias » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:46 pm

GUNNER wrote:(My fear is that it will be quiet but I'll still become obsessed about trying to make it even more quiet, past the point of rational behavior....)
I'm sorry mate, but that is almost inevitable. What one can hope for is that even though the computer makes some noice, it isn't loud enough to drive you to tinker with it...

kevinc

A CURSE ON YOU, SPCR!

Post by kevinc » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:28 pm

I started out looking to build a fanless Mini-ITX system but abandoned that idea due to problems with the motherboards. Then I started looking around on this site and have since spent $400 on quiet power supplies, crazy heatsinks, fan controllers, a new case.... Have spent hours suspending hard drives, devising revision after revision of cablegami creations, drilling holes, lacing cables, looking on the web for even quieter components.... All in the pursuit of making my existing computers quieter. The girlfriend thought I was nuts before, and I'm really glad my friends haven't seen what I'm doing.

I'm putting most of my effort and expenditures into the server that lives in my bedroom, but can see myself spending a weekend (and probably buying another 120 mm power supply) to quiet the workstation under my desk, when I find out that hey the bedroom computer is quieter.

I'm purposely not reading any articles or forum posts on ducting! If I start doing that, I'm going to need a straight jacket! (And it'll be my girlfriend who signs me into the asylum.)

Kevin

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:39 am

As someone put it in this forum long time ago ...Welcome to the nuts house... :wink: :D :lol:

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:13 pm

See! That's the stuff I'm afraid of! :!:

I also see a problem coming with the wife. We share an office and I've been told I'm not allowed to touch her machine (in the changing/tweaking hardware or software sense). And it's got a fan with issues...loud issues...and she doesn't care. :?

- GUNNER

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:31 pm

GUNNER wrote:See! That's the stuff I'm afraid of! :!:

I also see a problem coming with the wife. We share an office and I've been told I'm not allowed to touch her machine (in the changing/tweaking hardware or software sense). And it's got a fan with issues...loud issues...and she doesn't care. :?

- GUNNER
Sneak in there while she's gone and diagnose / silence in secret. If you do a good job, she'll love you for it.

m0002a

Post by m0002a » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:44 pm

Maybe I am wrong, but something makes me think that MikeC is not married.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:20 pm

I'm fairly certain that he's married, or at the very least, is involved in a long-term relationship with a woman. :)

I'm also certain that he has a saint of a woman, considering how much of SPCR's lab takes up his home. My wife would not let me get away with having that many parts around (though, if I had a small portion of what MikeC gets to play with and was as well connected he is, my wife might be as tolerant as well).

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:19 pm

m0002a wrote:Maybe I am wrong, but something makes me think that MikeC is not married.
She didn't want me to touch hers for a long time but I snuck in there anyway and managed to succeed... in silencing hers. She didn't think much of it at first, but then soon realized how much nicer it was & it was honey & roses from there. :wink:

Little did she know what was coming! :lol:

Tobias

Post by Tobias » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:22 pm

I can second that. I have always been tinkering with my computer and my girlfriend has been tolerant enough to let me continue, as long as I didn't mess her computer up.

After I had been silencing a while though, I realised that the best way to make things quieter in our apartment was to turn her computer off and soon found myself tinkering with her computer as well, in spite of direct orders not to. The result has been that when a fan is added to her computer, she is now faster than me to demand that I mod the box to get it quiet.