Keeping temperatures down in a closet

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Kaizen

Keeping temperatures down in a closet

Post by Kaizen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:19 pm

Calling on all the Gods of Cooling

I have recently retrofitted some cabling in my home to declutter my office. The outcome is that in a downstairs closet I'm housing the following:

- ethernet switch
- ethernet router
- cable router
- wireless access point
- UPS
- ReadyNAS X6

My concern is the temperature of the NAS drives I'm seeing. I've tried all that I can to lower these though: cleaning the intake grid and placing the NAS on the floor but I'm still seeing drive temperatures of up around 50C.

Are there any other non-destructive (to the closet) suggestions that anyone has for improving these temperatures?

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:58 am

For non-destructive the choices are limited. You could leave the door open a little to let some air in and out. Otherwise I wonder if you got a hunk of copper or aluminium and put it in the closet/cupboard, wait for it to heat up and then remove it to let it cool down again,a nd repeat forever would work. Of course, that's pretty hard work to remember to keep doing it! On a similar theme, having a copper or aluminium strip bent so that one end is inside, and the other outside, acting as a heatsink might work. But that might bnot be asthetically pleasing!

Perhaps you can rig up a slow fan pointing at the NAS drives to gently blow on them. That would help, even in an enclosed space.

Kaizen

Post by Kaizen » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:02 am

Hi CoolGav

Yup, the fan option was the path I was thinking of using. I'll see how things go but I may have to investigate being creative with the door. I was thinking along the lines of fans hidden discretely behind a meshed pannel.

I can't afford to upset my other half though. ;-)

Thanks for the help!