Really annoying sound!

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

henners

Really annoying sound!

Post by henners » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:38 pm

Hi,

I've written a few posts on this and I've found out that the whining sound I get in game menus comes from either the CPU or the motherboard around the coils.

Anyway, I can't hear it from the motherboard, rather it is amplified through my speakers - loudly! Is this happening to anyone else?

It's really annoying! I have an Asus k8v deluxe with a 3200+ amd64 and 2gig ram.

Henners.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:10 pm

I would try an add-in sound card, disable the on-board and tell us if you are still having the problem.

Andy

henners

Post by henners » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:37 pm

I tried the onboard as well as my pci breakout box one. Same sound present.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:44 pm

I've found out that the whining sound I get in game menus comes from either the CPU or the motherboard around the coils.

Anyway, I can't hear it from the motherboard, rather it is amplified through my speakers - loudly!
If you can't hear it from the motherboard, how can you be sure it's coming from the CPU/coils?

Anyway, I thought you had worked out it was the graphics card that was causing the problem?

Are your speakers magnetically shielded?

henners

Post by henners » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:04 pm

Sorry, I can hear it from the motherboard but its not very loud - the speaker sound easily overpowers it. It's a hissing sound.

I have it plugged into some Event tr8's which are magnetically shielded but i've tried it through some bog standard multimedia ones and i can hear it there too.