Asus EN7600GT SILENT and Zalman CNPS9500 - a close fit?

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Exel

Asus EN7600GT SILENT and Zalman CNPS9500 - a close fit?

Post by Exel » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:34 am

So I'm settled on the Asus silently cooled 7600GT as my VGA but I'd also like to replace the AMD stock cooler of my new 3800+ CPU with the Zalman CNPS9500 AM2. The big question here is will the Zalman fit under the Asus heatsink when placed vertically? I know the Zalman is stated 125mm in height but I have no idea of the exact clearance permitted by the Asus heatsink.

Now if the Zalman is too high to fit under the VGA heatsink how much less cooling would the heatsink provide in horizontal position in a P180 case? Or for that matter, how loud is the AM2 stock cooler?

vatan007

Post by vatan007 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:17 am

Hi

Exel. Ive been looking around the web to find the same answer. My problem however is same, except that will be using a en7600gt silent, in combination with the zalman cnps9500 LED, on a intel e6300 core 2duo processor. This all mounted on the msi p965 neo-f motherboard, hung up in the anteoc lifestyle 2 sonata case.

I found the measurements of the zalman 9500 led and AT to be nearly the same. the zalman has a height of 126 mm. Now,..

Since the heatsink of the en7600gt silent isnt on top op the card, but attached next to it. SO if we find out about the width of the en7600gt silent pci-e videocard, we will be able to tell if it will hit the zalman 9500 led in my case, or the zalman 9500at in your case.

Do you know the widht of the videocard???? I cant seem to find it, yet.

(by the way, first post)

vatan007

Post by vatan007 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:13 am

DAMN. i made an entire story for this reply, but my computer broke down. I really do need a new one. for fkucks sake.

Anyway.

The conclusion of my reply was that the dimension of the en7600gt silent are: 180x100x22mm. (length x width x height)
The dimensions of the zalman cnps9500 led are: 112x85x126mm. (length x width x height).

This means that the two components wont fit: the height of the zalman (126mm) shouldnt be greater then the width of the videocard (width en7600gt= 100mm). IT wouldnt be possible to position the heatsink upward, because there is a lack of 100-126) 2.6 cm. You could grind of, or cut of some of the top copper fins off of the zalman 9500 led , but that would definately rape the looks, but maybe als the cooling efficiency of the zalman. (if you'd like the zalman to run on 5 volts, you'd more rely on the copper fins, so grindin em off wont do good at all).

Plus, even if my calculations aren't correct, and youll have 1/2 mm of free space... it maybe wouldnt be smart to place them that close next to eachother, cause the two heatsinks might actually effect eachother, and heat eachother up. That would be messed up, in a case that doenst have the right airflow. If you have a motherboard with passive northbridge (southbridge also) cooling, a massive heatsink on top of your cpu, and a passively cooled vga card, having to heatsinks next to eachother wont do it good.

So what im saying is that they wont fit. I have an antec sonata 2 lifestyle case. My solution would be (on the msi p965 neo-f motherboard) to install the zalman cnps9500 led as the cpu cooler, and install the en7600gt silent with the heatsink down. Next, i would buy a good second 120 mm to run in my case, with a zalman fanmate 2 to control the speed (and noise).

What do you think bout this? And you pros, what should i consider....