Making q6600 silent [updated] [pictures] [56k warning]

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

elec999

Post by elec999 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:51 pm

smilingcrow wrote:Don’t forget to under-volt the CPU as the Q6600 G0s are typically stable at under 1.1V at stock speed; that makes cooling much easier.
I tried the undervolting test today, and system gives me big warning cpu overvolt error.
Thanks

mellon

Post by mellon » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Hopefully you'll be able to suspend the Scythe HDD box? That would surely eliminate virtually all of the vibration. Costs will be minimal too.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:25 pm

mellon wrote:Hopefully you'll be able to suspend the Scythe HDD box? That would surely eliminate virtually all of the vibration. Costs will be minimal too.
Should this get rid of the seek noises too.
Thanks

elec999

Post by elec999 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:47 am

I set the voltage 1.365 in bios and boots fine. Get the overvolt warning. But its been running seti boinc stable for the past 12 hours.
Thanks

mellon

Post by mellon » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:00 pm

elec999 wrote:
mellon wrote:Hopefully you'll be able to suspend the Scythe HDD box? That would surely eliminate virtually all of the vibration. Costs will be minimal too.
Thanks
It will probably reduce the seek noise but not remove it altogether. My 500GB samsung does have some audible seek noise even from inside the Scythe box that is soft mounted on foam feet, but the noise is a lot softer than when the drive was in the stock mount position in P182 lower chamber.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:59 am

mellon wrote:
elec999 wrote:
Thanks
It will probably reduce the seek noise but not remove it altogether. My 500GB samsung does have some audible seek noise even from inside the Scythe box that is soft mounted on foam feet, but the noise is a lot softer than when the drive was in the stock mount position in P182 lower chamber.
For my KS that Scythe makes no difference, hard drive still has loud. Only sound gone is the loud whining is makes. But seek and sound it makes when its running its still there. So barely made a difference. Just good for cooling the drive.
Thanks

whiic

Post by whiic » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:57 am

elec999: "First of my silence is a big FAILURE. System loud as it can be."

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope we'll find ways to further improve it, preferably without too much investments on hardware. Ducting, fan placement, suspension, etc. are cheap or even free to make.

In fact I'm still fairly optimistic on the possibilities of making it a quiet system with the hardware you now have.

elec999: "My power supply is quiet now since mod."

That's good to hear. New PSU would have cost something.

elec999: "The Noctua fan is not SILENT at all at stock speed. The Zalman fanmate does help alot, but at all speed is makes a buzzing sound."

ewww... sounds like a bad sample. My Noctua undervolts without buzzing. Or maybe it's Zalman Fanmate to blame? Don't some Fanmates use rpm signal to regulate voltage to fans? Do they use PWM? It may be the pulsating drive current that causes the buzzing noise.

Does you motherboard have PWM capable fan headers? Have you tried to use Noctua from one of those? If they use higher frequency of PWM, buzzing/clicking should be reduced (but in worst case scenario, it may cause a whining noise to replace the clicking).

Have you tried using ULNA (Ultra Low Noise Adapter)? Did one come with your Noctua fan? That adapter is just series resistor or series diode(s), so there's no pulsating ON/OFF drive current and it shouldn't add buzzing to noise profile like using PWM does.

As for being quiet at full rpm, no Noctua is silent at that speed. Also mounting method may cause variation in results. While Ninja is relatively freely flowing heatsink, it will create some back pressure and that back pressure is bigger at full rpm. If there's too much back pressure, airflow will become turbulent and noise will increase.

Mounting the fan to "pull" instead of "push" could also have contributed to why it was so noisy (at full rpm). Noctua recommend using "push" configuration with Noctua fan on Noctua heatsink so the same recommendation might also apply to other heatsinks. At least it's worth a try.

Also, since you don't have an exhaust fan, you could reconsider whether to "push" (or "pull") air upward toward PSU fan or towards the back. There's at least four configurations worthwhile considering (and another four that you shouldn't consider: push/pull downward and push/pull toward the front).

If you want to keep fan pushing/pulling toward the back, you could consider ducting it to exhaust openings in the computer case.

elec999: "The Scythe HDD silencer does get rid of the hard drive buzzing sound, but the hard drive seek noises are still as loud as before. The Scythe barely makes a difference. Makes my case vibrate alot now (cheap case)."

Rubber band decoupling is much more efficient than commercial silencers. Much much more. Relatively hard rubber grommets do next to nothing in decoupling.

mellon's suggestion of decoupling the box is good. Decoupled box is even better than decoupled bare HDD. You're investment on the box wouldn't go completely waste even though you might have obtained decent results with just decoupling bare HDD. Very good is better than good.

elec999: "Should this get rid of the seek noises too."

Not all of it. Some acoustic frequencies remain, but constant vibration induced noise should disappear (humming type of noise) and also you'd get rid of that "hollow" sounding seek noise and all that would be left is higher frequency ticking when seeking that wouldn't be completely eliminated.

elec999: "For my KS that Scythe makes no difference, hard drive still has loud. Only sound gone is the loud whining is makes. But seek and sound it makes when its running its still there. So barely made a difference. Just good for cooling the drive."

Not exactly so. If you have decoupled a whining HDD, you could have got rid of majority of vibration induced noise, but whining would have remained. With both the box and some better DIY decoupling you can make good sound insulation for your HDD.

elec999: "I tried the undervolting test today, and system gives me big warning cpu overvolt error."

I get "overvoltage" warning when undervolting too. It's a "feature" of P5B related Asus mobos (incl. Commando). I can't make BIOS ignore it even if I tell it to ignore voltage warnings. But I can make it not wait for F1 on error. I do get the annoying beeps for "overvoltage" every time I reboot undervolted.

elec999: "I set the voltage 1.365 in bios and boots fine."

What kind of frequency are you running it at? I believe at least something above 3 GHz, possibly around 3.2, but that's just my guess. If you are running lower freq and need that high voltages, you either have a bad CPU sample or a motherboard that's incapable to run reasonably well at selected FSB freq. (Do note that there might be inconsistencies in usable FSB range and increasing FSB might actually make your system more stable at lower voltage.)

You could also do the VRM pencil mod to get rid of vdroop, allowing to use lower voltage setting in BIOS without reducing load vcore (thus not increasing risk of instability) and obtain lower vcore on idle and partial load. You might also be able to run at lower vcore if you disable Spread Spectrum clocking feature in your BIOS setup.

Warning! If you intend to do the pencil mod, reduce your voltage before doing it because eliminating vdroop will increase you load vcore and thus increase risk of overheat.

elec999

Post by elec999 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:46 am

Is there any way to lower the voltage more via software.
Thanks

TK421

Post by TK421 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:26 am

elec999 wrote:Is there any way to lower the voltage more via software.
Thanks
Are you getting any vibration between the Noctua and the CPU heat sink? are they touching? (I guess I am trying to see if the loud fan noise is coming from the Noctua itself, or if there's some residual vibration coming through the heat sink that can be removed with some rubber padding or whatever.)

elec999

Post by elec999 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:51 pm

I placed the computer in my basement. Would love it as my main rig but the noise is not acceptable now. I will work on noise level when I get more cash. I found out how to get rid of the vcore overvolt error, in the bios under monitoring for vcore select ignore. Bios reports vcore at 1.088v. I would love to try some overclocking. Tried bringing the fsb to 333. But it seems overclocking is not possible with this board, due to lack of chipset voltage selection. Windows boots fine at 333@8 at 1.365v, but its not stable and crashes after a while. Tried OCCT to test stability but fails when overclocked.
Thanks

elec999

Post by elec999 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:08 pm

What do you guys think. Should I blow more money on this system. Get the Antec Solo, Corsair HX520, and Wd 500 aaks.
Thanks